Hello, all!
I know we are a little ways into December already; I wanted to be sure everyone had a chance at the open-ended introductory blog before I closed it off. Speaking of the introductory blog, I loved reading your comments, and I noticed how many of you responded to each other. The best part of blogging is the conversation.
For this post, I would like you to consider the context of the piece you are reading. In your response, address the following questions:
1. What is the subject matter?
2. Who is the intended reader?
3. What does the writer assume the reader knows about the subject matter?
4. What type of research was the writer likely to have done in order to write this piece?
5. What type of research would assist the reader in comprehending the piece?
6. (address any other points related to context that you feel are relevant).
Happy posting!
Your teacher,
Ms. Bedell
Thursday, December 6, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
22 comments:
Hey Guys!
I took a break from Rabble Starkey because it was moving slowly, but i started reading this really good book called Plan B by Jenny O'Connell. It's about a girl named Vanessa, who is a senior in high school. She has her life planned out; she wants to go to Yale with her boyfriend and spend her summer traveling around Europe with her best friend. But that all changes when she finds out she has a brother....and he's a celebrity. He comes to live witht them and completely invade Vanessa's life. But after she starts having problem with her boyfriend, he is the only one who's there for her.
It's a really good book; i'll let you know what happens as soon as I finish.
bedell23s
hi guys
I'm reading Specials by Scott Westerfield. So far it really cool and action packed. You have to read the first two books to really understand the reasons that things are going on and why they are happening. It's really fun to read about the special adaptations and reflexes they have. Tally is still the main character and questions inside her are starting to build up and sometimes she lets her special advanced new guard down. I'll let you know what happens to Tally and her friends but I do recomend you read this book.
Hey guys and girls.
Today's review is on the Fearless FBI series. (sorry I keep doing series. I'll try to do a single now and again.)
This series is about a girl named Gaia. A genetic mutation leaves her immune to fear. Its immpossible for her to feel it, which leads to her leaping right into a lot of fights.
It starts off on Gaia's graduation day(college not high school). Everyone has just graduated and are at a rooftop party, and Gaia is talking to her friend Kevin. Unfortunately, Kevin is a little unstable and tries to blow everyone up with a homemade bomb strapped to his chest. More fortunately, Gaia tackles him off the roof and everyone is safe. The FBI arrive and Gaia decides she wants to join up. What follows is the most grueling months of training camp ever. She learns new things, makes new friends and catches a serial killer.(how? you'll have to find out.)
This book is intended for anyone who likes action, but won't freak or get grossed out at the mention of blood. It's not a horror book, just action,and I really enjoyed it.
As this book gives a really loose interpretation of life in the FBI, I don't think any research was done. The author just wanted to entertain.
OK, enough blah, blah, blah, I just want "spy story" fans to have a look at this series.
P.S. our school doesn't have them but orange county public library does.
thanks for listening to my long drawn-out review,
bedell18e
Hey guys,
This is the last posting on The Naked God cause I finished it(I was up until 4 in the morning on saturday and sunday):
The Naked God is all about humanity's fight against the dead returning from the beyond. It explores what depth of selfishness humankind has as expressed in Al Capone's words "I'm human too, ain't I, I deserve a body."
This book is intended for hard-core SF fans with its futuristic society and hard to follow story lines.
The bad part about this book is you have to read the first book to understand it for without it the book is confusing.
I believe the writer did absolutely no research to write this book because none of it is grounded in reality. Because of this I believe a reader has to do no more resaerch than reading the previous book.
Sincerly,
bedell27t
P.S. Quinn Dexter is a meglomaniac cultist who want to bring about the end of creation by loosing the servants of the Light-Bringer on the universe. Thats just an extra tidbit that will help you understand the book.
Hey Guys!
So I finished reading Plan B, and the ending was really good. Vanessa learns that you have to go with the flow sometimes....she accidently oversleeps and misses her retake of the SAT's. After that things start to evolve for her. She relizes that having everything planned out doesn't make it okay when it finally happens. Even though Vanessa has been wanting to go to Yale for years, she gets in and realizes that she loves the idea of it, but it might not be right for her. Like most books, the ending was happy, but even more then that I really loved what Vanessa found out about herself. That made the whole book worth reading.
The only problem with this book is that it was easy.I read it in about 3 days and, although it was interesting, it was definately not a challenge. The book also seemed like it was easy to write. Not in the sense that the grammer and such was difficult, but more of the fact that there wasn't alot of background research. Everything was pretty much made up, but if your going to read this, you should probably make sure you know your celebrities. There was tons of references to schools and people.
I think tht this is a really good book for girls. Guys would definately NOT like it. Anybody who is very uptight and has everything planned out should read this, ecspecially if you're wanting to mellow out a little bit. Overall, it's a really good book.
hey guys its bedell15d....
i just finished the book Amber Spyglass by Phillip Pullman. It is the final book in a trilogy known as His Dark Materials (i know, it sounds creepy, but the books rock!). The Golden Compass is the first in this series. This book is fantasy, about a young girl called Lyra who lives in Oxford at a university. One day she overhears a meeting about a newly discovered particle called Dust, which some believe can unite whole universe, and others believe is dangerous and deadly. Lyra is propelled into a world filled with strange creatures such as witches and armored bears. Lyra soon discovers she has the ability to read the alethiometer, a golden, compass-like object that tells the reader what is "true", whatever that may be. The final book in the series (the one i read) is about her fate, and how the fate of all the universes depend upon Lyra and her friend Will.
The book was amazing, and I reccomend the trilogy to fantasy-lovers and anyone just looking for a good read.
The author, Phillip Pullman, must have done some research on Christianity and the Church/Catholic Church, or else had some sort of personal experience with it for its great part in the book and the way it is portrayed. In this book, the Church is trying to control everything and is viewed as the "bad guys" in the book. This might offend some but i founf it very interesting, especially at the end of the Amber Spyglass. I think as a reader it would be very helpful to do some research into this topic (and others brought up) as you read the book because it would help the reader to better understand the book. Research into location (such as Oxford and colleges around where Lyra lives at the beginning) would also be beneficial to the reader.
if you don't have a book to read, try out these books, they might seem lengthy, but they're well-written, complex, and exciting!
thanks for reading!
-bedell15d
hola!
I am still reading Supernaturalists by Eoin Colfer. The main character, Cosmo and his best friend, Ziplock, escaped from their prison orphanage. Cosmo also narrowly escaped death, but Ziplock was caught in its claws and died(that was a pretty awesome sentence). Anyway Cosmo was lying on his back watching a blue creature suck his life away, when a group of kids found him and killed the creature. He then learned that only him and this band of teenagers are the only ones who can see the creatures and the only ones that can kill them off and stop them from feeding on the life of humans.
As retarded as that sounds, it is actually kind of good and exciting. I'll keep yu up to date.
Hey its me again. I know this is sorda delayed,but its in response to bedell20k, when you asked if you should read
Harry Potter. You must be insane not to read it. Trust me, the series gets better
Ok, time to respond.
Bedell23s, I've read Specials, and its a good book. Its very exciting and I really enjoyed it. you have good taste!
Hello everybody.
I just finished reading the book An Abundance of Katherines. It is about a boy named Colin. Colin only dates girls named Katherine and as a matter of fact has gone out with and been dumped by 19. The book starts with Colin, who's all sad because (surprise!) he's just been dumped by Katherine-19. His friend Hassan, an overweight, Judge Judy loving Arab decides Colin has to get out and see the world. So they pack some clothes and go on a road trip. After driving for a few weeks, they come to the town of Gutshot, Tennessee and meet a girl named Lindsey. They stay in Gutshot and have lots of fun and Colin learns something along the way.
The intended audience was probably boys who don't know what to do with their life.
No research was required or done for this book, and I didn't like it very much. But give it a go and tell me what you thought.
heya! you guys didnt see my last comment because something happened with it, but it went something like this- "I am reading a book entitled Into the Wild. It is about a man named Chris McCandless who gave all his money to charity after graduating college, and decided to spend life as a tramp. My favorite quote was when he was asked if he had a hunting license. His reply was 'Hell no! Why should the government care how I feed myself? Fuck them and their stupid rules.'"
Soo, now i have taken a break from that book because it takes about 5 minutes to read a page, and switched to a new book, called "The Last Dragon". It is about an elf named Yorshkrunsquarkljolnerstrink, or Yorshkrunsquarkljolnerstri for short. So naturally everyone calls him Yorsh. Yorsh is the last elf in the the world on a quest to complete a prophecy which involves finding the last dragon. The prophecy reads-
When the last dragon and the last elf break the circle, the past and the future will meet, and the sun of a new summer will form in the sky.
This basicly means that when they complete the prophecy, the sun will shine again, for there is endless rain going on a the current time. I found that the intended reader seems to be a young teen or preteen. In answer to question #3, I believe that the writer assumes that the reader knows about all sorts of fairytale creatures, such as dragons, elves, and trolls. The writer probably researched what it was like in the medievil times, and the reader should probaby read up on that too if they want to better understand the writing.
-Bedell26b
Yay for bedell18e!
I want to read those books now! I love action/bloody books! And movies!
Like "300". Its a movie about spartans from spartia. So anyway, what is the title, and who is the author? the book sounds really cool!
bedell15d in reponse to bedell18e . . .
five of my friends have read an abudance of catherines, and i have been considering reading it for a little while because it sounds good, but i don't usually read those kinds of books. is it as good as it sounds? also, the Fearless FBI series sounds really good, but i dont think i could find them at the orange county library or our library. i'll check again. oh, and i was just wondering if Crucible is any good. not that i will read it, but i'm just curious.
thanks,
bedell15d
bedell23s
In responce to bedell18e thanks for saying I have good taste. I would also like to say that An Abundance of Katherines sounds like something that would be a movie. By the way have you read the fourth book in the Uglies series yet?
Hey people!
I would post about Harry Potter but I've decided that that would bore you terribly so I'll talk about a different book.
I'm reading a book called Sammy Keyes and the Wild Things. Sammy Keyes is a series, I think there's about ten books? I'm not sure. Anyway, they're really good books and this one is the most recent.
It's about a girl named Sammy who lives illegally with her grandmother at the senior center because her mom left her to become a movie star in Hollywood. Sammy is a kind of detective teenager who has a knack for attracting trouble. The books are a mix of a mystery and normal school life problems with her archenemy Heather Acosta. This book's mystery takes place when Sammy gets dragged into a camping trip in the summer with this girl from her school named Criket. Criket's in a troop/club that wants to save the condors (huge endangered birds that were almost extinct at one point). Sammy doesn't really care that much about them but when one of the condors in the reserve they are visiting turns out to be harmed - possibly shot - she can't help but want to solve the mystery.
I'm not finished with this book, but I'm pretty far on, so I know most of it.
The intended audience is obviously a teenager/kid that is reading the book. Wendelin Van Draanen (author) doesn't really expect the reader to know much extra information, and it doesn't really matter that much if you haven't read the other books in the series although that would definitely make the book better.
I expect Wendelin Van Draanen researched by hanging around teenagers, and a lot on condors. I thought she might have just made it up but it turns out they're real birds - at one point there were only 22 of them left (she got this information right in her book). She even got the correct wingspan! I'm not sure if the place Sammy was is a real reserve, but it could be.
The only thing I can think of that would really do anything to help you understand the books better would be to read the others, you'll be able to understand the characters a little better. You don't need to know anything about condors, WVD explains everything you need to know -- which isn't much to begin with.
Well it is REally late right now so I'm gonna sleep but I'll post again when I finish this book!
I HIGHLY recommend this series, they're mysteries but they're way more modern than some mysteries. Not as good as Harry Potter, but it's not like anything comes close anyway. Sorry. Had to add that.
Anyway, if you haven't read this series you should. The first book is called Sammy Keyes and the Hotel Theif, but you don't have to start there. I would at least read Sammy Keyes and the Search for Snake Eyes, because that one is one of the best definitely.
Thanks for reading this long boring post if you are down here!
-Bedell01L
ps:HARRY POTTER RULES!!!!!!!
hey guys! i finnished my sisters keeper, and now im reading 'the black sheep', finnished it too actually. i thought it was a good book, but girls would enjoy it more. the story is about a 15 yr old girl, who is wisked away to california to switch famiilies with another unhappy teen. her struggles are increased with the neighbors, her parents, her adopted family, not to metion the fact that she's now the star of the hit reality show 'the black sheep', which means that cameras are following her everywhere. it was an extremely umm interesting book and i would recoment it to any girl who thinks her life is embarrassing!
Hey anonymous! Who are you?! (person who reccomended HP.) Sign your name! But you ROCK! all you have to do is check the nickname thing and write your codename or just sign it at the end, like so;
sincerely,
bedell__ _!
there you go. Now you know.
--bedellO1L
ps: HARRY POTTER ROX!!!! alot!
Hey classmates!
To bedell23s:
I definitely agree with what you said about Specials! It's cool!
You have good taste, I would reccomend this book to anyone!
It's really cool how Tally changes with every book, and not just because of all the different operations she undergoes.
Hope you like the end! (some people didn't).
sincerely,
bedell01L
I created a blog!!!!!
It is for Harry Potter freaks ONLY!
http://hpisthecoolest.blogspot.com
Hey guys,
This in in response to bedell23s:
bedell23s, I've read Specials and I agree with your statement that Specials is really action-packed and cool. I also agree that you have to read the first two books to understand it but I think its possible to read it and understand it without reading the first 2 books. I find it kind of boring that their adaptations aren't fully explained and covered in detail. I thought this book was agreat one and I think you will too.
Sincerly,
bedell27t
bedell23s
In responce to bedell01L I finally finished reading Specials and it was good. I really didn't expect it to end that way but it was still cool.
bedell23s
hello everyone
I've gotten Extras and I'm about half way in the the book. Tally is no longer in this book or at least not yet. The new main characters name is Aya Fuse and she is a nobody according to her super low face rank. She is a kicker and is about to let out a a huge story about a secret cult called the Sly Girls and about the weapon they found that could destroy the world. I haven't gotten to what happens yet and even though it's a total bummer Tally isn't in the book anymore the Extras is still a good book.
bedell23s
Hi everybody I just wanted to say that I was wrong about Extras. Tally does come back, but when, where, and why is for you to find out.
Post a Comment