This is bedell03a's post that I moved over from the Writing Blog. I will count thoughtful comments for up to 4 points towards reading log grades.
Hey guys! Its bedell03a, I was surfing the net for history when i found this poem about the Pledge of Allegiance. My question to you is: What is your view/thoughts as you read this poem ?
War Poem
Pledge of Allegiance©
By Meghan L. Thomas
I pledge allegiance to this land
Where heroes protect every woman and man
The flag that represents freedom and choice
The flag that gives us all a free voice
And on September 11th, when our nation was attacked
We all came together and we fought back
In the midst of terror, many heroes died
They fought to save others and in the end sacrificed their lives
They didn't think twice as they ran toward the fallen cries
All they could think about was to save those victims' lives
Though they have fallen we can still hear freedom ringing in their voice
From the battlefields to the white house we all had to learn to survive
The tragedies on September 11th left a whole nation to mourn and cry
Now we live on to protect our flag's integrity
From the people who just don't seem to see what our nation sees
Though they attack us, never will we fall
I give a salute to the firefighters and soldiers lost on that day
Together we mourn for the victims who had to lose their lives that way
But in their deaths, our nation finally saw
That no matter how much they try, together we cannot fall
So, I pledge allegiance to this land
Where heroes protect every woman and man
http://www.poetryamerica.com/read_poems.asp?id=333424
Tuesday, December 11, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Howdy! I am responding to Bedell03a's poem she found which (in case none of you read) was entitled War Poem. I agreed with most of the views and believe it or not, I felt a little bit touched. There is one thing that kept troubling me though. The part early in the poem that said "we fought back". How did we fight back? We were the ones getting killed by airplanes and fires. Not them. If you mean we fought back with the war I don't think that was very successful. Now our troops are stuck in there getting picked off one by one with suicide bombers and the occasional land mine. If you mean we fought back by having our country united, then yes, you have a point there. But we aren’t a fully united country if even one of us isn’t united, in this case it is the heartless b*$#% Ann Coulter who wrote the book “Godless” saying that the widows of 9-11 are harpies and they should “appear in Playboy before their shelf life runs out”. Plus, they wouldn’t publish the book if someone didn’t like it, so there are probably people that agree with her. I still don’t know what they mean by fight back, so if anyone has any ideas, please tell me.
Donuts rule,
Bedell25j (I think, I lost the sheet)
P.S. Only 4 points possible Mrs. Bedell? Come on. It’s Christmas. Cheap.
Heya! While reading yonder poem, i was listening to dragonforce on itunes, so maybe i did't get the full effect. Even so, I agree with bedell25j; it was kinda touching. I think that the poem must have been thought out, and that it must have taken a while to write. I disagree with you bedell25j, thought, about the fact that we didn't do anything in the war. We went in, and fought the government there, and established a democracy. There are still bombings almost daily, and that sucks. I believe one day, everything will be solved, though probably in the far future, hopefully before there's a nuclear war and we die. I have decided to devote some of my life to try and solve some of the Millenium Development Goals(MDGs). Also, Ann Coulter's book could've been published even if people don't agree with it, I could still get published, because it is her opinion, and we have freedom of speech. Though I agree that there are probably people out there that agree with her, but I'm not one of them; why should the wives of all those dead people appear in a Playboy magazine? Thats just stupid!
-Cows are better than donuts,
Bedell26b
P.S. -its Christmas! Give our teacher a break!
P.P.S. Mrs. Bedell, can i have a html sheet?
Hey guys!~
I'm responding to bedell03a's poem.
I thought this poem was really cool because it makes you look at September 11 in a completely different word. I've never thought of it as something that really united our country, but in a way, it did. I think that as much as September 11 hurt and as many people as we lost, it really drew our country together. There's alot of bad stuff going on in our world today, and that day was just another example. But, it also brought out the best in people. The police officers, fire fighters, and everybody else on the scene, didn't even think twice. They just ran in, thinking only of the safety of the people in side. There was no room for fear. It takes a brave, courageous, and above all, un-selfish person to do that. I think this poem does a really awsome job of reminding us of that. September 11 was such a horrible day that it's easy to forget all the heroes that died. I think as bad as this all was, we have to look at the bright side; it united our country.
I want to include this quote from the movie ladder 49. ( not sure that it's exactly right)
"It takes alt of courage. To run into a burning building, even when everybody else is running out."
Post a Comment