Wednesday, January 2, 2008

January Post (Post your responses here!)

Dear all,

Happy New Year!!

I hope you had a lovely break. I've enjoyed reading your posts. In the coming year, you can expect to see me commenting on some of them, so be sure to check in frequently!

In honor of the New Year's tradition, this month's post will be about New Year's resolutions. What resolutions might your protagonist choose to make?

Your response should not only include the protagonist's goal(s), but should also address at least one character flaw that keeps the protagonist from easily reaching said goal. Other goals may be included as long as they relate to the story. All goals should have a brief supporting statement that ties them directly to the text. For example, Little Red Riding Hood's goal is to get to Grandma's house. However, her naivete and innocence get her in trouble with the Big Bad Wolf. A set of resolutions for Red might read something like:

"In 2008, I will:

1. Eat fewer baked goods. (All these cookies are starting to turn me into Not-So-Little Red.)

2. Visit my ailing grandmother more frequently. (If the Woodsman hadn't happened along just then, Grandma and I would both have been the Wolf's dinner, and I never would have the chance to know her as a person. I've been given a second chance, and I'm not going to waste it!)

3. Be more guarded around strangers. (If only I had listened to Mom, who warned me time and again not to talk to anyone in the woods, the Wolf would never have known where I was going, and the whole eating-Grandma thing would never have happened.)

4. Learn tae kwon do. (Just in case I find myself stalked on my next trip to Grandma's.)

Signed,
Little Red Riding Hood"

As always, include the title of the text, the author, and your UserID in your post. *There is at least one post from last month without a valid UserID, so I am not able to give credit to the writer. Please double-check all of your postings and let me know if you missed adding that vital piece of information!

Looking forward to your ideas!

Ms. Bedell

40 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hooray, It's a new year!

anyway, Id just like to mention this before starting a new review.
Sorry i didn't give the author for the fearless FBI series. Her name is Francine Pascal, the first book in the series is Kill Game, and there's another book coming out soon. Bedell15d, I know for a fact that all 4 of these books are in the orange county library. They are in the main Area, in the far back in the teen fiction/young adult section.

Now, for a review.
I re-read the book Hatchet by Gary Paulsen yesterday. Most of you have probably read it, but here's a quick (well, kinda) summary.

Brian Robeson is a 13 year old boy with divorced parents. This proves to be an issue as the single passenger plane taking him to see his dad crashes in the middle of the canadian wilderness. The pilot is killed and Brian is left on his own to survive in the woods. The only tool he has is a hatchet given to him by his mother before his departure. Slowly he is forced to give up his city ways as he changes into a smart, capable woodsman.

Some of Brians goals include:
1. Surviving (duh!)
2. building a shelter
3. getting food
4. living on his own

Brian has quite a bit of trouble with these things in the beginning because he is a real city kid, and his city ways almost kill him. However, once he learns he can't take shortcuts, he does quite well.

"During my experience in the woods i will:

1. Survive (i like living and intend to do more of it)
2. Find myself a shelter( I don't need anything as fancy as my apartment in New York, but I need protection.)
3.Find food(There is a lake right outside where i can find fish)Feed me!
4. Live on my own(My teacher said that the most valuable asset a man has is himself)

Anyone who hasn't read Hatchet should, as its about a kid like us and everyone can connect to it. Also, There are three more books in the series, Brians winter, Brian's return, and Brian's Hunt.

Sorry my reviews are so long.
Happy new year!!

Ms. Bedell said...

Dear bedell18e,
What is the major character trait that Brian needs to overcome/develop in order to survive? In other words, what holds him back at first?

Anonymous said...

Happy New Year!
I read the book Slam by Nick Hornby. Its about this average 15 year old boy named Sam whose life consists of mainly skateboarding and talking to his Tony Hawk poster. This all changes when he meets this girl Alicia at one of his mom's work parties.
He ends up getting Alicia pregnant and he runs away to live in another town. He eventually comes back but his life has pretty much been changed forever.
Some of his goals might be:
- Not getting anymore people pregnant.(kind of a given)
- Not running away from problems.
- Not falling off his skateboard and seriously injuring himself, again.

One of his main character flaws is that instead of facing his problems he runs away from them.

This is a really good book.
Sincerely,
bedell05s

Ms. Bedell said...

Dear bedell05s,
You've listed some goals and a character flaw; how would Sam write his own resolutions based off this information?
-Ms. Bedell

Anonymous said...

hi its bedell15d...

i am reading a classic, Wuthering Heights, by Emily Bronte. this book is more difficult than i bargained for (but is still awesome). because of this, my post on Catherine (one of the main characters)probably isn't so accurate. i apologize in advance.

**SPOILER..i spoil one part of the book that some would rather find out when they read the book...just an FYI**

some resolutions/goals:
1. overcome my illness
2. find heathcliff (and never leave him...he is my life and it has destroyed me to be apart from him, my soul; i need him)
3. to be wealthy and rich; have a high status/reputation

(this may be grossly inaccurate, but i have done my best for now)

catherine also has some major flaws. she is outspoken, sometimes violent and uncontrollable, and incredibly selfish. she married only for status and wealth, which in itself has posed an obstacle for her because this forces her and heathcliff apart, and only just before she dies does she finally reunite with her true love (if it can really be called that).

i have not yet finished the book so i may add on to this post later.

sincerely,
bedell15d

Anonymous said...

Dear ms. Bedell
In response to your question, I think that its Brian's tendency to take shortcuts. He is used to living in the city where he can do that. However, he realized that now he can't do this. In fact, the text even says, "In the city if he made a mistake usually there was a way to rectify it...If he fell and sprained a leg he could wait for it to heal, if he forgot something at the store he could find other food in the refrigerator.
Now it was different...If he sprained a leg here he might starve before he could get around again; if he missed while he was hunting he might starve; If he got really sick so he couldn't move he might starve."

This shows that Brian is learning and dropping his bad habits.

Hope this answers your question.

Anonymous said...

Hey Class and Mrs. Bedell!! I'm currently reading a book called Ender's Shadow. It's about a boy named Bean (Not his real name, just a nickname) so here's what Bean might take as some new years resolutions.

For New years,
more than Anything I'd like to escape Achilles. He is a ruler of children in where I live, and while he has a bad leg, his brainpower makes up for it by far.

I'd like to get accepted into the Battle School as well. This way, I can escape Achilles treachery. (Although it will be hard for me to get in, seeing as my body is not nearly as matured as other kids my age.)

I know many of these things are somewhat selfish of me but that's how it is in my world... you kill or be killed.. unless you escape the never ending cycle, you'll ALWAYS be hunted.. and trust me ... there's always someone bigger than you.

As you can probably tell (Oh this is me again not Bean) I haven't gotten very far and can't very well accurately portray Bean's character so I hope this can give you a rough Idea of him..

Flaws: As I stated before, Bean is unfortunately very small.. (I think it's just stunted growth not dwarfism) But he makes up for this with his amazing intellect..

Bean is also a thorough thinker, which can sometimes restrict him from impulsive moves and ideas. But I think that'll straighten out if he gets to the Battle School. (It's obvious that he does if you've read the first book)

Well this sums up Bean!! I hope you get a pretty good feel of what he's like and if you need questions answered.. just ask!!

Sincerely, Bedell14s

Anonymous said...

Hey guys!
I just finished Extras, by Scott Westerfeld, the fourth book in the Uglies series. I thought it was a really good book, but not quite as good as the first three, especially since Tally is no longer the main character.

Aya Fuse, 15 years old, lives in a city where fame is everything. The city interface uses cameras to monitor everything keeping track of how many times each person's name is said. The more your name is said, the higher your face rank is and the more popular and famous you are. Aya's face rank is almost at half a million, making her a complete extra. Like everyone else in the city, Aya's biggest goal is to be famous. She searches for a really big story to kick and eventually finds one that turns out to be much more complicated and serious than she had expected.
Unfortunately for Aya, kicking this story involves lying to and eventually betraying some newly-found friends.
Aya decides to put her story and becoming famous before her friends, and ends up making it mucher harder for herself to kick the story. If Aya were to write a set of resolutions they would probably look something like this:
-Always tell the truth unless it could hurt somebody. (Lies just complicate things.)
-Being a more trustworthy and loyal friend.
-Putting friends before things like fame and face ranks.

I highly recommend this book as well as the first three (you do have to read them in order), to everyone!! They are soooo good!!
(Obviously they aren't as good as Harry Potter, but they are probably my second favorite series of books.)

-bedell10e

Anonymous said...

I am Bedell25j and I approve this message. Howdy! Happy birthday, Elvis! Anyway, I read the second third of Stephen King's "Skeleton Crew". Overall, it was pretty good. Once again, I will tell my review of the stories one by one so if you don't like to read long comments, then leave. Now. Get off the computer and run. Run for your life! Anyway, here we go.
The first story was "The Wedding Gig". This story was told in the form of the protagonist (who's name is never revealed so we'll just call him Bob) telling the story. The year was 1927 and Jazz was the hottest music around. He was in charge of their music band. One night he was pulled over and taken outside by Mike Scollay. His game was running booze in from Canada. He offered a gig to Bob and his band that was just a wedding and it paid 200 dollars (which was alot back then). But first he was told 2 things. One was that the wedding was for his sister and that she was really fat. Mike said no one could laugh at her or else they'd die. The second thing was that a guy named the Greek wanted him dead. Bob accepted the gig. They went to it and everything was going smooth until a small, nervous looking guy came halfway through the wedding. He said the Greek has his wife hostage and if he doesn't give Mike a message she'd be killed. The message was that his sister was as fat as a pig and the whole town was laughing at him behind his back. On a rampage Mike tried to leave the wedding to kill the Greek but was immediantly shot down by the Greek's goonies before he could leave the building the wedding took place. He opened the door and bullets came flying in. Once Bob saw the first bullet, he and the band ran for it. Afterwords Mike's sister took over his small business and made it an underworld empire. She even killed the Greek with pianowire through the eye.The story ends with him feeling bad for her.
I would say Bob has two resolutions. One is to not take up gigs with people that always break the law. Another is that to never make Mike's sister angry.

This year I, Bob, will

-not piss off Mike's sister(so she won't kill me)

-not take up gigs with people who break the law(so I won't get killed in gang war crossfire)

The second story is "Paranoid: A Chant". It is really weird. It is a poem of a guy who is paranoid(his name isn't mentioned so we'll call him Bob2). He thinks everyone is out to kill him. That is why he writes in the dark, packs himself in ice, won't leave the house anymore, drowned a dog, won't open mail, and won't answer the phone. Bob2 is pretty insane.
His one resolution is probably not to die.

This year I, Bob2, will

-not die

It's time for story number three, "The Raft". The protagonist of this story is a teenager named Randy. Randy and three other teens go to a lake in the winter and swim to a raft out in the middle of it. Tourists come to this lake in the summer, but no one comes in the winter. Once the four teens reach the raft, a black spot appears on the water. One teen touches the water and the black spot grabs the teen, pulls her into the water, and eats her. Randy and the oters are scared after 12 hours, Only Randy is left because the other two were eaten by the black spot. Randy then loses all hope, jumps in the water, and gets eaten.
Randy is dead so he doesn't have any resolutions. But if he's Hindu and comes back in another life, his resolution is to make sure no one ever swims in that lake.

I, Randy, am dead. But if I were alive for this new year I would

-stop anyone from swimming in this lake so they don't die.

The fourth story is "Word Processor of the Gods". It is a story of Richard Hagstrom who recieved a gift built by his genius of a nephew Jonathan a couple days before he died in a car crash. It was a word processor. He soon found that whatever he typed into the word processor came true. He realized it could start a whole new begining for him. His drunk brother took the girl of his dreams and had the son he always wanted while he had a lazy son and an overweight, unappreciative wife. He could change all of that now. He soon started getting himself gold, bringing Jonathan back to life, and getting a new wife but after that the word processor overloaded and broke.
I don't think he really has many resolutions. He has the son of is dreams, the wife of his dreams, and he's rich. But if he made one it would probably be to fix the word processor.

I, Richard Nagstrom, this year will

-try and fix the word processor(because if I do that I can control the universe).

The fifth story was "The Man Who Would Not Shake Hands". It is a story of a man named George Gregson telling a story of another man. The time was 1919.George's story is of his encounter with a man named Henry Brower. If anyone touched Henry's skin then they would soon die. This is because of an accident in Bombay. In Bombay at the time he was one of the few people with cars. All the small boys followed his car with wonder and fear where ever it went. One day a more adventerous boy decided after Henry parked it. This car is a Ford Model-A so it could start from the touch of a button. The boy accidentally started
the car and crashed it which caused him to die. The father of the boy was a holy man and blamed him for the death of his son. Because of that he put a curse on Henry which made anyone he touches die. This is where George comes in. George was going to play a game of poker with four of his other friends when he found out their usual fifth had broken his leg. Henry Brower, sitting in the corner reading the paper, decided to fill in. Eventually Henry won and one of the other chaps, Davidson, shook his hand. Henry screamed and left running out. None of them know whoever touches him dies so they were all confused. George ran after Henry, wanting him to have the money he rightfully owned. George searched for days trying to find him and was finally told by a barkeep out of town that he was dead. He was found dead holding his own wrist.
I would say their are two main goals for George Gregson. One is not to go to Bombay and kill a holy man's kid so he doesn't get cursed. The other is not to touch Henry Brower's dead body so he doesn't die.

This year I, George Gregson, will

-not touch Henry Brower's dead body(so I don't die)

-not go to Bombay and kill a holy man's child(so I don't get cursed and kill everyone)

-put flowers on Davidson's grave(he was a good poker buddy)

It's time for the wonderful world of story number six,"Beachworld". In the far future a (space?)ship crashes somewhere unknown to both the readers and the characters so we'll all call it beachworld. There were three members on the ship. One was Grimes, he died in the crash. The other two who survived were named Rand and Shapiro. The place they crashed was like a giant desert, full of sand, but also like an ocean, because the sand acted like it was alive and almost looked like it moved in waves. The beachworld had a mezmorizing power to take over a persons mind. Rand fell to its power, and just sat on a dune, not eating or drinking at all. Shapiro resisted it. Soon, a ship came to pick them up. Shapiro gladly got on. Rand resisted. They couldn't get him on by force so they chose to shoot him with a tranqualizer dart. They shot the gun but (I'm not joking) a giant hand of sand came out of the dune and blocked it. They decided to leave Rand and save themselves so they left him. Rand then decided to kill himself by eating sand.
Shapiro probably has one resolution right now. To never go back to beachworld.

This year I, Shapiro, will

-never go to beachworld(that was just scary)

Story number seven. Whoop dee freakin' doo! It is called "The Reapers Image". This story was a little confusing to me. I don't think I really absorbed it. A man looks in a mirror, gets thirsty, goes to the bathroom, and is never seen again. That sums it up.
The protagonist, Spangler, was the one who disappeared. If he came bacck I'd say he'd want to destroy the mirror.

This year I, Spangler, disappeared. But if I come back I will

-destroy the mirror that supposedly caused me to disappear(because that really sucked)

FINAL STORY!!!! I can't belive it, the last story! Thank you god! Let's get it over with. The last story was entitled "Nona". It's about a man who one day meets a beautiful woman named Nona who convinces him to take her to a graveyard and kill a lot of people along the way. Once they get to the graveyard the story loses me. It says they went in a stone vault. In the stone vault the man sees a second Nona with her chest ripped open. He turns around to see the first Nona and she turned into a big rat(what the heck?) and it asked if he loved(what the heck?). Anyway, a bunch of guys found him and took him to a mental instutution. The story ended with him about to commit suicide with a knife he got at mealtime.
This story was weird. It was just plain weird. Anyway, Bob3 (his name is not mentioned either) doesn't have nay goals since he is about to commit suicide. If he had to have a goal it would be to try and make it quick and painless.

This year I, Bob3, will

-try to make my suicide quick and painless(pain is bad)

Well that is all for now. If you were able to read this all of this posting, you deserve a medal. Happy B-day again, Elvis.

Sincerely,
Bedell25j

P. S. donut

Anonymous said...

HHHHHHEEEEEEEEEEEYYYYYYYYY!!!
Ok, so right now i am reading Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone.
So, in order to understand anything, you need a little bit of background information(if you haven't read the books)


Harry Potter is a ten year old boy who lives with his aunt and uncle( the Dursleys) on number four, Privet Drive in Little Whinging, Surrey. He has been told his parents died in a car crash and died when he was very young. But for some reason, they change the subject suddenly every time he asks anything about his parents. The Dursleys are not a normal loving set of guardians that you all probably have. They force him to live in a cupboard under the stairs in their house, they don't celebrate his birthday, don't let him leave the house, and don't even think about letting people know that he's the POTTER'S son. On top of all this, they have a son named Dudley, and they're convinced he is a perfect child with absolutely no flaws. It seems as if he is going to live a dreadful life forever until one day he gets and envelope addressed to:

Mr. H. Potter
The Cupboard Under The Stairs
4 Privet Drive
Little Whinging
Surrey

He has no idea who could possibly be sending a letter to him, since no one liked him at school, and how in the world could anyone possibly know where he slept?
Uncle Vernon yanks the envelope out of his hands and mysteriously claims that no one was writing to him and it was misaddressed. Harry furiously claims that it WAS addressed to him, but the Dursleys won't give in. But something very strange is going on in the house. The next day another envelope arrives, the next day three more envelopes arrive, the next twelve, the next 24, then 40. Mr. Dursley is very angry, so he declares that they are going away. They drove all day, and finally they arrived at a hotel. 100 of the letters arrived, and Mr. Dursley has basically gone mad. In the middle of the night while they are sleeping, a giant man, claiming to be Rubeus Hagrid breaks into their room with a birthday cake for Harry. Harry is very confused, and Mr. Dursley looks as if he's going to faint. Once Hagrid finds out that the Dursleys haven't told Harry exactly what he is, what his parents did, and what his letters said, he is raging. He tears open the letter and reads it aloud to Harry. It's from a school called the Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry and it says he has been accepted to the school. He has absolutely no idea what that could mean, but Hagrid says that he will explain more tomorrow when he takes him to get his supplies for school.
Right now his goals would be:

1) Get away from the Dursleys! I can't believe that they didn't tell me i was a wizard, and that Voldemort killed my parents!
2) Go to Hogwarts! It sound like the coolest school in the world, and i barely ever have to see the Dursleys! I wonder how you do magic...
3) Meet other wizards- i don't have any friends here because Dudley and his gang hates me, so hopefully wizards are nicer than "muggles"

These are his goals only on page 50 out of about 300, so his goals completely change as you get farther into the book. I could say what they were, but it would ruin the entire plot, and it would make the entire series seem dumb, because when you talk about wizards and centaurs, and hippogriffs, and and being petrified, it makes it sound like some dumb fantasy book about "make believe" things. But seriously, you totally get addicted when you read the series, and you'll never stop re-reading them.



C yyyyyyyyyyyyaaaaaaaaaa,


bedell22l

Anonymous said...

Dear bedell10e,
I've always been interested in the Uglies series, but never got a chance to actually read any of them. As far as the resolutions, I think that those are positive and should help the character in the long run
sincerely,
bedell03a

Anonymous said...

Hey everybody!!!

Over the break i read the Gemma Doyle trilogy by Libba Bray. The books are A Great and Terrible Beauty, Rebel Angles, and The Sweet Far Thing.

These books are about a 16 year old girl named Gemma who lives in India in the late 1800's. On her 16 birthday Gemma finds out that she is able to see into a magical world called the Realms.

After a traumatic incident back home Gemma is sent to boarding school in London.

While at school she meets three girls named Ann, Felicity, and Pippa. at school the girls discover a secret club of powerful women called the Order. They find out that the women of the Order all have the ability to travel into the Realms and bestow the power held in them.

Gemma soon meets a young boy who seems to know about the Realms and how to enter them. Gemma soon takes her friends into the magical world of the Realms.

The girls soon find out that they are unsafe in the Realms but it is up to them to save them.

These books are very accurate historically. The books show what culture was like at the time and what it was like for women. At the time women were shipped off to fancy schools(such as the school Gemma attends) and were taught how to have proper manners, and how to be a good wife. The girls in the book(and at the time) are/were taught not to state their opinions and to sick to what society deems right no matter what.

These books are an extremely fast read(despite their size) and I would recommend these books to anyone who loves adventure and fantasy, and to some people who just love to read.

I really hope you all read them because they are really good.

-bedell07s

Anonymous said...

I'm currently reading the book Blodd Bothers by Nora Roberts. This is this a very interesting book that is complicated at first. You will better understand it as u get deeper in the story line. There are three main characters but im going to choose Cal's new year resolutions.

1)Since there is a big evil in his town tht goes around taking over people mind and making them go crazy his first resolution would be to stop it. He doesn't quite now what it is but he know what it does. Hes need to figure that out along with his two other friends.

2)Live life to the fulliest. He might want to do this right away because he truthfully doesnt think he and his friends can stop the evil, and he only has 7 more months to live in that case.

3)Keep his bowling alley up and running and try to make even more money then last year. He owns the top spot in town whwere everybody hangs out. This is one of his top priorities which is why it is one of his resolutions.

Cal's major flaw is that he doesnt really trust anybody else when it come to the evil that haunts the town every 7 years in July. Some outsiders came into town that seemed as if they were connected to the plot some how but he didnt trust them or give them all the information he knew. This hindered the investigation process. Maybe if he would have told them everything earlier they would have figured out what the evil was sooner.

j.h. forgot my user tag thing

Anonymous said...

Hi everyone...
Just read the book Maus by art speigelman.
Maus was a book Mr. Tovell told us about during the book talk. I didn't think it was going to be that good, but i checked it out and it was ok.

The story is mostly about artie's dad vladek, but artie plays a big part in the story too.

Artie's main goal is to find out all he can about his father's life during WWII. one flaw that keeps him from reaching this is his unwillingness to be with his dad enough to ask him these things.
Artie's mom killed herself a while ago, and so vladek and artie aren't a real family anymore. I think artie avoids his dad because he complains all the time and it brings up painful memories.

Some resolutions might look like this:

1) This year I will find out everything i can about my father's story of the war. I need to ask him questions and look at his diaries because I have a book to write.

2) i should spend more time with my dad. even though he's remarried, he hates his wife and i'm really the only family he has.

That's all i can really give you about artie at this point as i have yet to read part two.

I'll keep you posted and add a summary next time.

Anonymous said...

Happy New Year!!!!!
hey guys. i read a book called double cross, by James Patterson. the main character is a detective in washington, DC by the name of alex cross. he is being stalked by a killer by the name of the mastermind. it is a struggle for him as he sees the killer threaten his family, and the conclusion will leave you begging for more.

His New Year's resolution list would read:
1. Spend time with the kids
2. Catch a killer
3. Eat more of nana's home cooking

you should read this book. it is excellent.

Anonymous said...

hey this is bedell15d...

in response to bedell07s (about the Gemma Doyle Trilogy) ...

those books sound like something i might enjoy!! however, they do sound sort of sad.... i also could not find the first book @ our school library...do you know if they have it??

thanks,
bedell15d

Anonymous said...

well hi i just read the curious incident of the dog in the night. I found it very interesting

the main character is a 15 year old boy named Christopher. He is autistic causing him to have trouble identifying human emotions as well as other things...


some of his new years resolutions may be to....

1 Start trying to become a little more comfortable around strangers.
(He takes a train to London and gets very scared.)

2 Start to trust his father again.
(His father killed his neighbors dog and told him his mother was dead when she left him for another man.)

3 Try to get a little more comfortable with the colors yellow and brown.
(He does not like anything that have any of those colors, food, paint, cars etc.)


One major character flaw that he needs to work on is loosening up a bit. I know that he sees things differently than most people but usually makes more sense than most people. He got in trouble for punching a cop when the man grabbed him.

Anonymous said...

this is in response to what bedell18e said. I have not read Hatchet but i have read 2 of its sequels and found them to be boring, over dramatic and unrealistic. I think that the books touch on a cool theme but the author tries to hard to be "hip" and "down wid it". But that is only my opinion, everyone else who has read it has seemed to like it. (over generalization) I think every one should read this book and so we can have a rousing debate in the future.

Anonymous said...

hey its bedll15d...

adding to my Wuthering Heights post..

i'm just going to discuss the flaws in both Heathcliff and Cathy. For Cathy, she is extremely selfish/self-centered, thinking of herself before anyone else. This causes conflict for her because she WANTS Heathcliff, wealth and status, AND her current husband. She can never have all three together, and it destroys her, eventually killing her. Heathcliff, on the otherhand, is pure evil. He is rude, malicious, violent,and monstrous. Society condemns him and his evil ways. He wishes he could destroy Catherines husband, but knows it will upset her. They both truly long to be together, and nothing, not even death, can keep them apart. There only "redeeming quality", in the end, is there love.

Anonymous said...

HEY EVERYONE!!!!
I've been rereading the book MONSTER by Walter Dean Myers to get a better grasp on the book. The protagonist i this book is Steve Harmon. Steve is on trial for a robbery turned murder and has been in jail for the past couple of months. Throughout this book you wonder if Steve really is innocent or is there just something that doesn't add up about his story? I'm pretty sure that if Steve had a set of New Year's Resolutions, they would go a little something like this:
1. Look up to positive role models... Steve is in jail along with 2 others who he once looked up to. Looking back he's sees that if this is where tough guys end up then he doesn't want to be one
2.Stay off the street... Steve is always on the street or at home after school. Although he never is there looking for trouble he shouldn't constantly be out there.

sincerely,
bedell03a

Anonymous said...

Hello Class,

In the book that i am reading right now there isnt any type of specific protagonist or set story line so ill use my book club book To Kill a Mockingbird.

One of the goals for the main character, Scout, is to successfuly meet Boo Radely. One of her flaws that keeps her from reaching this goal is that she is too scared to go to his house and knock on the door. If not for that she would have been able to reach her goal with no problem at all.

Anonymous said...

Hey everybody!!!

I read the book Sisterhood of the traveling pants by Ann Brashers. GGRRReeeaattt book!! The one thing I loved about this book was that there were four protagonists instead of one. The four protagonists are named Tibby, Lena, Bridget, and Carmen. They are all best friends that believe that a magic pair of pants will hold their friendship together, while away during the summer. Since there are four protagonist, I will only choose my favorite one to review.

My favorite "sister" is Lena. Over the summer she goes to Greece to spend time with her grandparents and paint landscapes. Her main goal is to be able to be with a man that she loves and meets in Greece. But the man is part of a family that lena's doesn't like. The characters that are stopping Lena from achieving her goal are her Grandma and Bapi(Grandpa) By not having to keep who she loved secert she would stop having to sneak out with Kostos(the man she loves)

If you haven't read "The sisterhood of the traveling pants" you really should. It would mostly appeal to teenage girls. There are three other books in the series.

--BEDELL13m--

Anonymous said...

Hey guys,
I read the Secret of the Sirens by a fantastic author who made it seem real to me.
In the story there is a girl with a special gift that makes all animals love herand she goes to her aunts house to stay. It turns out her aunt is a member of The Society for the Protection of Mythical Creatures and that she is a universal companion being able to reach out to all kinds of animals.
New Years Resolution:
Learn more about her powers so she can defend herself.
Defeat Kullervo(the evil dude)utterly to protect the mythical creatures

These resolutions stem from the fact that she is vulnerable to evil ideas and control.

Sincerly,
Bedell27t

Anonymous said...

Hey people!

I read the book A corner of the Universe by Ann M. Martin. I would like to start out by saying that this book is really sad. Like so sad. I swear it will make you cry. But it is really good.

A Corner of the Universe is about a girl named Hattie (the book is set in the 1960s -- I know that sounds really lame but it's not that bad)who has just got out of school and is looking forward to a summer of lazing around in her small town. Instead, she finds out that she has a second uncle who is only 21 years old named Adam. Adam's "school" closed and he came to their town to stay with their grandparents who live close by. Adam has mental problems which they are not sure of but they believe he is autistic or schizophrenic. I would say that he is bipolar and mentally retarded because he acts kind of young and he can change from super happy to super depressed in like a second. Anyway, this book is just a really cute story about how Hattie gets to know her eccentric uncle, and how she learns how hard it must be to be him. I won't give away the ending but it is really sad as I said before.

Anyway, Hattie's Goals might include:
1)Learning more about Adam and how to control him
2)Standing up to Nana where Adam is concerned - telling her that Adam is not as childish as she thinks.
3)Trying to put Betsy and Nancy out of her mind and ignore them.
4)Make new friends (here she succeeds later in the book!)

I think the reason Hattie would choose these would be because she seems to wish that she were more bold and outgoing. She is always shy and she mostly hangs out around adults. I think that this would be her major character flaw - that she isn't very confident.

I think that her resolutions would be
-to make new friends
-to find out more about Adam
-to set Nana straight

So that is my review! You should really read this book it's in the ALS library and it is a really quick read but it is worth it. I know it sounds totally lame especially with the old time period and all but trust me it is worth it!!!

-bedell01L

PS: bedell22L you ROCK!!!!!!!!!
So does HARRY POTTER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Anonymous said...

In response to Bedell22L:
YOU ROCK!
But seriously, Harry Potter is like the best series ever! You described Harry's goals really well - at least for the first section of the book. His goals get kind of confusing later in the book because he is trying to do one thing but ends up doing another! I DEFINETELY reccommend this book to EVERYONE even if you think it sounds really dumb - I know it does. And the cover of the book looks really stupid.
YOU SHOULD READ THIS BOOK!
-bedell01L
PS:HARRY POTTER ROCKS!!!

Anonymous said...

hey, I am now reading Harry Potter 1, because Supernaturalists was overdue. Oh well. Okay so As you already know Harry is 10, and living with his aunt, uncle, and cousin after his parents died. What he doesn't know is that he is a wizard and that his parents died after being murdered from the evil wizard, Voldemort. I've already read the entire series, so I know that the protagonist's, Harry's, goal in these books is to learn to control his powers, or learn more wizardry, while at the same time learning as much about Voldemort as possible in order to defeat him, and let the wizarding world live in peace once again.
If you have not read Harry Potter I highly recommend it. You should at least read the first one. If you think it is boring, I am telling you these books get better and better the further in these series.

Anonymous said...

WATZ GOING ON!!!!!!!!
AYA IM BACK AGAIN ITZ BEDELL03A AND I HAVE STARTED A NEW BOOK, SO I'M GOING WITH PROMPT ONE SINCE I HAVEN'T GOTTEN THAT FAR. THE BOOK I'M IS CALLED BAD BOY BY WALTER DEAN MYERS, I'M SURE THAT SOME OF YOU HAVE READ IT. I'M READING IT AGAIN, BECAUSE THE LAST TIME I HAD IT I DIDN'T GET THE CHANCE TO FINISH.
THIS BOOK IS SIMPLY THE AUTOBIOGRAPHY OF WALTER DEAN MYERS AND TELLS YOU DETAILS ABOUT HIS LIFR THAT YOU WOULDN'T FIND ON THE INTERNET. IF I WAS WALTER DEAN MYERS MY NEW YEAR'S RESOLUTION WOULD GO A LITTLE SOMETHING LIKE THIS:
1: ANALYZE WHAT YOU ARE DOING; IN THE BOOK WALTER GETS CAUGHT ON A CAR, MAYBE A TAXI I'M NOT TOO SURE, AND THE CAR DRUG HIM TO THE END OF THE BLOCK. BEFORE THIS HAPPENED HE WAS CLIMBING TO THE TOP OF A CHURCH TO GET A BALL, BECAUSE HE AND HIS FRIEND WERE PLAYING STOOPBALL.
2: THINK 1ST TALK 2ND; AFTER THE CAR INCIDENT WHEN WALTER'S FATHER ASKED HIM WHAT HAPPENED HE SAID THAT HIS MOTHER HAD BEAT HIM. SHE WAS THREATENED BY THE FATHER AND THEIR RELATIONSHIO WAS NEVER THE SAME

THAT'S ABOUT AS FAR AS I'VE GOTTEN IN THE BOOK. SO I HOPE YOU ENJOYED THE RESOLUTIONS AND I'LL WRITE AGAIN LATER
SINCERELY,
BEDELL03A

Anonymous said...

Dear Bedell05s,

I think my brother read that book for a project. Yea, he said it was good. As far as Sam & Alicia, how old were they when this happened? When he came back, did he take care of his responsibilities or just act like he never left?

Sincerely,
Bedell03a

Anonymous said...

okay so this is just to let you guys know that I am bedell24l, and I wrote the one that said I'm reading Harry Potter 1 because Supernaturalists was overdue.. i didn't tell my screen name, I wrote this!!

Anonymous said...

In response to the anonymous post about the "Curious incident of the dog in the night time,"

This looks like a very good book.
Though it does seem like Christopher must have a very hard time in life because of all of his problems.
It also seems like he would feel pretty lonely because he is scared of other people.

Well, thanks for the post.

Sincerely,
bedell05s

Anonymous said...

What's up class? I posted i response to this prompt about my book club book, Harper lee's To Kill a Mokingbird, because the book im reading doesnt really have a story line. However, i didnt think that it was good enough so i decided to do another one that actually has my user name with it. (By the way this is bedell04p.

Anyway, here are some goals and resolutions that Scout, the protagonist, might have during To Kill a Mockingbird

During 2008 i would like to:
1) Meet Boo Radely again(i would like to see if the rumors are true)

2)Eat and get bigger and stronger(i dont want to be defenceless if someone like Bob Ewell tries to attack me again)

3)Not get into too many fights( i want to keep the promise that i made to atticus)

For Scouts first goal/resolution one her flaws that might keep her from reaching it is the fact that she is too afraid to even go up to the door. If it wasnt for that she could just go up ring the doorbell and to see him.

For her third resolution the flaw that might keep her from reaching it is that she has a short fuse and shes quick to jump on somebody. She basically wont back down from anybody. This would probably be the hardest resolution for her to achieve. However, if she learns how to keep her cool and think before she reacts, this goal should be no problem what so ever for her.


Sincerely,
bedell04p

Anonymous said...

Dear bedell22l and bedell01l
1st i'll respond to the resolutions for Harry in the Sorcerer's Stone from bedell22l. I think the goals you gave him are good. But the first one (him getting away from the Dersleys) is kind of a given and not exactly a long term goal. I COMPLETLELY agree with bedell01l's coment to 22l. I read threw the first 3 in the series and got stuck on the 4th. Now im finally starting to read them. there SOOO good everyone should read them!
~bedell06e

Anonymous said...

SPOILER
I'm reading the rereading the 1st Sisterhood Of The Traveling Pants book by Ann Brashares. There are 4 main characters in this book (the sisterhood) so I’m going to choose 1. These are Tibby's New Year’s resolutions. WAIT 1st you need some background info in case you haven’t read the book in which case YOU NEED TO!!! So, this summer tibby's the only one out of the sisterhood who stays home. She gets a job at "wallmans" (like Wal-Mart) and is working on a documentary film. She meets Bailey who is much younger but ends up hanging out with her a lot. She eventually finds out Bailey has leukemia. Well that’s enough READ THE BOOK!!!
so Tibby's resolutions:
1. I will find something better to do next summer then work at wallmans. This was not all that productive and made me lonely from my friends.
2. After meeting Bailey and losing her I want to do something to help more people like her. I will give some of my money to Leukemia research. That’s what Bailey would want.
3. I want to help out with my little siblings more. I saw this summer how busy my mom is and I am always so reluctant to help out. I
4. I want to finish a whole movie/documentary. That world is a really great accomplishment and it’s obvious I want to film or work with film for a living.
Finally I think my main flaw is that I try to run away from big issues or tough life situations.
When I first found out about Bailey's disease I didn't immediately find her and talk to her about it. I avoided it and obviously acted differently around her because she noticed immediately me new. So over all I am not very understanding of others circumstances and run away from my problems.
~bedell06e

Anonymous said...

Hey guys!!!
Well i was just responding to bedell13m's post about the sisterhood of the traveling pants. I say the first movie, and it was pretty good, but not really something i would want to watch or read the book over and over again. So i was wondering if the books in the series get better after the first one, because if not, i'll probably just watch the movies as they come out.
I'll see you guys tomorrow!

bedell22l

§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§

Anonymous said...

HEY!!
In response to bedell15d, who wrote a long time ago, what makes the book "Wuthering Heights" so difficult? You seem to think it is a good book. Is it the vocabulary and the way they talk, or is it just the whole plot is confusing? I was considering reading it if it wasn't too difficult...
c ya!

bedell22l

Anonymous said...

Hey guys!
I read "The City of Ember" by Jeanne DuPrau. This book is about a city called Ember. As far as the citizens of Ember know this is the only city that exists and everything beyond the city is black nothingness. In this city it is always dark. There is no sun, and everything is lit by lightbulbs. Recently, the lights have been beginning to flicker and their supply of food, as well as some other items, is beginning to run out. Two kids, by the name of Lina and Doon, begin to get worried as the blackouts become more frequent. They eventually discover a very interesting set of instructions, that just might help them solve this problem, let them find out some secrets about their city government, and lead them to discover a big secret about their city.

Lina's biggest goal is to find a way to stop the blackouts and supplement the shortage of food. Unfortunately, she is slighty too trusting in her government, and gets herself into some trouble that causes a big holdup in her plans. She might make a set of resolutions that looks something like this:
-Don't just assume the government is always telling the truth to its people.
-Think hard about important decisions.
-Trust people, but don't give all your trust to someone until you truely know them.

I thought this was a good book, but definetely not the top of my list. It's a quick read and keeps you interested until the end, but it does have a few slow parts.
-bedell10e

Anonymous said...

In response to bedell07s...
The Gemma Doyle series sounds really interesting, and they sound like books I might want to read. I don't usually like fantasy books that take place in magical worlds (except, of course, Harry Potter), because they seem too fake. These books seem more like historical fantasy then magical fantasy, so I might like them. I'll see if I can check them out at the library sometime.
-bedell10e

Anonymous said...

In response to whoever said the sequels to Hatchet are boring and overdramatic, i really think that you should read Hatchet before you judge this. In Hatchet, you get closer to Brian and you know what he's like. This helps you understand him better in the sequels and makes you like them more. Take my advice and read Hatchet first. :)

Anonymous said...

this is BEDELL 16J. I READ MONSTER. I was not sure if it was a true story but i found it very compelling. Steve got very unlucky in the book. But also lucky that he got found not guilty and was not raped in jail.
Some of Steves new year resolutions are
to
1 find out who he is
2 make sure not to hang out with bad people
3 be very nice to his parents because they have been through alot and
4 make an awesome film

i still cannot figure out how to put my name for saying who wrote it grr...

Anonymous said...

I also just read the Handmaids tale. It is an adult book with "mature" content bu is very interesting and compelling. It takes place in a futuristing US where birth rates are droping so womans jobs are to have babys. Woman do not have any rights and it is very 1984ish where everything you do is being watched.


some of her resolutions are to
1 escape to canada
2 not be hung
3 find out more of what is going on in the world