Thursday, January 3, 2008

January Posting Option #2

Since some of you will need to complete two posts this month, I felt as though I ought to give you a second prompt, or else there would be much repetition.

Therefore, consider this:

In your text, identify the major conflict. Locate three key pieces of information that the writer uses to develop the conflict. Then retell the story from the perspective of the main antagonist. Include the same three pieces of information in your retelling, but the impact of that information may change based on the new character's perspective.

As always, identify the title and author of the text and include your UserID.

Happy posting!

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey everybody, i just read the best creepy mystery book ever. its called KILLING BRITNEY by SEAN OLIN. The main character is a grl named brittney, whose life is a bit crazy. The story starts in the middle of a larger plot and takes off at a fast pace. @ the end... letmethink... 6 people were murdered over a short period of time... all by the same person. I enjoyed this book because i can usually guess the ending or who did it, but this book left me stunned, with an ending i never expected. the main conflict in this story is the fact that somebody is stalking Brittney, but all of the suspects, one by one, turn up dead. The only thing i didn't like about this book is that the deaths are told in grisley detail... a hit and run, being run over by a ice-shaver in a skating rink, framed suicide, stabbed,then locked in a freezer, it goes on and on. other than that, i give this book 5 stars!!! I seriously recommend it to anyone who needs something to read.

Anonymous said...

Hey readers!
Im reading a cheesy love story called DON'T DIE,MY LOVE by Lurlene McDaniel. She has a history for writing love stories. Teenage love stories to be exact. This story is about two teens about to become seniors in high school. They are an all-american couple. The football player jock and the girl loved by everyone. Untill one day things start to change when Julie Ellis notices a strange bump on the side of her companions neck. Later he goes to see a doctor to find out he has a rare cancer in his lympnoids!!!!...Its so sad yet cheezy. I haven't finished yet but as soon as I do I'll be sure to tell you the ending.

Anonymous said...

I’m reading Blood Brothers by Nora Roberts. The major conflict in this book were these three friends who unlocked an evil at age 10. Every year since then the evil has came back in July and took over peoples mind and made them go crazy. The three friends don't know how to stop the evil. To develop the conflict the writer adds in three new characters who are somehow connected to the plot. You don’t know how at first. The writer also throw in experiences with the evil. You might be reading about Cal (the main character) walking down the street but then all of the sudden the evil shows up and taunts him. The writer never tells you what the evil really is. It shows up in different forms so as a dog, child, or wolf. It keeps you wondering because you don’t know anything about the evil. The antagonist wouldn’t have much to say because its not really a person. His perspective might be that “three kids came and unlocked my powers at the age of 10. They have regretted it ever since because I have attacked their town every 7 years. They cannot stop me and they wont stop me. This year will be the end. It doesn’t matter if three other people have showed up, I will destroy them too. I have already scared them and showed myself. They are not ready for my powers. You never know where I will be. This July in 08 I will destroy everyone". That’s about I I think he would have to say. This is a very good book and I recommend it to everyone.

j.h.

Anonymous said...

Howdy! I am Bedell25j and I like donuts with rainbow sprinkles! GO DONUTS! Anyway, I was doing comments on Stephen King's "Skeleton Crew". But , from the stories I read, it is almost impossible to chose a story and make a comment on it and tell the information Mrs. Bedell wants. So, I am going to do something else. How about Matt Groening's fifth grade diary out of his book "School is Hell"? Okey Dokey! Well, this is a diary written by Matt Groening in the fifth grade. Nothing is changed except the names of the people and that everyone is drawn as an animal (Matt Groening is the one eared rabbit). His diary is written for one reason and one reason only. So that when he becomes president of the U. S. he can publish it and make a lot of money. Throughout the diary it tells of how bad spike was, various incidents in throughout the year, but most of all, it tells of how much he hated Mr. Shute, the crappiest and meanest teacher on Earth.
The main antagonist of this story is Mr. Shute.
There are many reasons that this conflict started. First, for just small mischief, Matt had to run laps around a field. Then, for yelling at some kids, he was sent to the principles office. Because of this cruel punishment, it led to disobediant mischief, which is Matt saying Mr. Shute was the worst teacher in his life.

This diary is a warning for teachers to come. It is a warning to tell them to leave and never come back. I entitle this warning

Diary of a fifth grade teacher part one

April 5,1965

Today I made Matt run laps around the field today for talking in class. Spike, again, was a huge nuisance.

Diary of a fifth grade teacher part two

April 6, 1965

Today, I made Matt run laps around the field again. Also, he was yelling at a bunch of students in recess so I sent him to the principals office. Because of that he told me I was the worst teacher of his life. I got so made I wanted to beat him.

Anonymous said...

HEllo everyone-

So i just read the book- The Earth, my Butt, and Other Big Round Things by Carolyn Mackler. The protagonist in the book is a girl named Virginia Shreeves, who has a larger-than-average body. All of her family members are skinny, popular, jocks who their parents are always proud of. You learn at the beginning of the book that her best friend named Shannon moved away, and isn't coming back for a year. She is mortified, because she doesnt really have any other friends. There isn't really a certain antagonist, because it changes throughout the book, but it is either Froggy Welsh, a group of three preppy girls, or her family.
For this entry, I'm going to use her mother as the antagonist. One way the author implies this is because her mother starts the conflict of the book. She brings up the weight issue. She declares that she is going to a nutritionist that will help her slim down. Virginia is VERY embarrassed, and even though she knows she's overweight, she doesn't want to go. So she ends up going on a crash diet because she is so disgusted with herself and goes drastically down in weight. Her mother is making comments all throughout this to make sure she is still on it, and that makes Virginia uncomfortable.
"I don't know why Virginia is so upset with me. I know how it is to be overweight, and i just want her to not go through what i did as a teen. Ever since i took her to that nutritionist she hasn't been the same."
That is how Ms. Shreeves would describe the story from her perspective.

I definitely recommend this book.


bedell22l

Anonymous said...

hey,
well I read a book called Raven's Gate. It is actually VERY good. The major conflict in this book is pretty basic and you've probably heard it in a lot of books but its good vs. evil. Ms Deverill is a fostercare lady that volunteers to take care of Matt an orphan after he is caught robbing a warehouse. After robbing the house Matt comes and is trying to look around the town of lesser malling and finds all these creepy people and hes suddenly questioning his legal guardian and her actions. He later sees this strange glowing light in the woods and decides to explore it. After all the weird stuff thats going on Matt is starting to freak out so he tries to run away. He runs into the forest and the road suddenly disappears and he fins an abandoned building where later a big scene happens. well now that ive told you a little about it, I am going to tell the story from Ms. Deverills point of view.
Matt, this troublemaking adolescent, comes to stay with me. He, unfortunately, found us chanting in the woods one night and I get angry. Then some of my "friends" told me he went into town asking around. Then, can you believe it, he actually tried to run away. He should know better by now. Well we'll see if hes actually ready, for what i need him for. *evil laugh*
well i definately recommend this book. The second book is WAAAY good and i LOVED these books. Hope you read them!
~bedell17m~

Anonymous said...

Hey guys,
this is in response to bedell11m
Killing Britney sounds like a really good book. As I was reading I was trying to figure out why the book is called Killing Britney when she's not the one dying. IT seems like all the suspects in her case are. My question is, why do you think the book was called that, or is there more to the story and I just need to read the book? Otherwise, it sounds really good. Hopefully it won't creep me out, although thats not really a hard thing to do!

Anonymous said...

Howdy! I am Bedell25j and I have the urge to riot. Burn Everything! I am responding to bedell20k's comment on her cheezy love story "Don't Die, My Love". I have to say that is the cheeziest thing I have ever heard that has touched my heart. It really makes you think about life. Anything could happen to you anywhere at any time. I mean, if your just responding to a comment on a blog a drunk driver or senior citizen might just drive through the wall of you house, into your room, and just run you over (insert crashing, screeching, screaming, and thump noise here). That is why life is so precious. That book touches me and sounds good but sadly, I don't read love stories due to the fact that after 10 pages, it gets old.

Til' next time I see you (if there is a next time),
Bedell25j

P. S. In my last posting, in the last sentence, the word is supposed to be mad and not made. If it was made it would be really weird.

Anonymous said...

Hey every body: THIS IS A SPOILER!!! So don't read this if your going to read the series which EVERY girl should!!!
Well I read the first Sisterhood Of The Traveling Pants by Ann Brashares. The Conflict of this book is ...well theres alot because its from 4 perspectives. I'm going to cover one of the charecters stories: Carmen. She has gone to visit her father who divorced her mother when she was young. The conflict in this story is that her father has decided to remarry a woman with 2 kids. This makes Carmen feel left out and very rejected in this differnt culture family. 1 piece of info the author uses to strengthen this conflict is culture. Carmen is hispanic and the family her father is marrying into is white and does not seem to understand or accept the differnt body type and language of her. Also the author has Carmen's father only tell about the relationship as they are pulling up to his new family house. Finally the stepsiblings real father has a drinking problem so carmen feels bad about disliking the children.
Now these points from her dads perspective. I'm sure he didn't think culture would be an issue because he is not hispanic .He was used to carmens heritage and was married to her mother so didn't know this would effect the relationship. for the 2nd pice of strengthening info, Carmens father didn't exactly know how to tell carmen about the new family and thought it would work out as a suprise. Finally her father didn't expect carmen to dislike her stepsiblings in the first place so this didn't cross his mind as a issue.
~bedell06e

Anonymous said...

Ok,
So the book i am reading is called Slam by Nick Hornby. The main conflict in this book is pretty much between the main character, who is named Sam, and his father. The reason for this is because his dad got his mom pregnant when they were sixteen years old, after that they got married, but soon after that they got divorced. His father was never really there for him because he left when Sam was very young. Sam resents his father for this and also it doesn't help that is father is a mean person who hates anyone that is not from England, which is where they live.
One of the other reasons why he doesn't like his dad is because he has started making some of the same mistakes his dad made. There is one way that this conflict helps Sam though, he is determined to be there for his own son.
The antagonist is Sam's father. If the story was from his point of view he would probably tell the story quite differently. He would probably feel that he had been justified in leaving his family. He would probably say that he had got divorced because the marriage was not working out and that he had not wanted to leave Sam but he had to. I think that he probably would still feel at least a little bit of regret for not being closer to his son.

I think that this is a very good book and i would recommend this book to almost anyone.

Sincerely,
bedell05s

Anonymous said...

Hi everybody, The major conflict in this story is CANCER!!
The main charatcers boyfriend has it. The sad part is that im only half way through the book. I should be reading a more challenging book but i thought that i needed a break from all that. So far there is not really a antagonist in the story except for tha cancer. and I dont really know how too tell a story from cancer's point of view. I wished I would have read more at this point. But's that all i can really say. SORRY!!!!

Anonymous said...

Hey Everybody!!

I just finished reading a book called Blue Bloods by Melissa De La Cruz. It is a book about a girl named Schuyler who finds out that she is a VAMPIRE!!!(I have gotten kind of obsessed with vampire books.)

The major conflict in this book is that there are certain vampires called Silver Bloods, killing off the young vampires called Blue Bloods. The three major parts that help develop the conflict are
1)When a girl named Aggie is mysteriously killed one night with all of her blood missing from her body
2)Schuyler finds out she is a vampire and her family tells her that vampires are indestructible and that Aggie's death was just an accident( this helps lead up to the major conflict because it shows that the other vampires are afraid of whatever is killing them off)
3)Schuyler gets attacked by one of the Silver Bloods and almost dies

A retelling from the antagonist, the Silver Bloods(whose name I can not say because it would destroy the book).

"Last night when I went out for my walk I bumped into a new young vampire. I did not want to hurt the girl but I could not help it. Every blood cell in my body was screaming at me to bite her. I tried to resist and turn the corner. I had already killed that girl Aggie and I could not bear to hurt another vampire without a cause. I was turning the corner when the girl reached back to tie up her hair, revealing her long pale white neck. Suddenly my body was moving and my teeth stabbed into her soft, smooth skin. I tried to pull back but it tasted to good. Suddenly I could smell another vampire coming around the corner. He started screaming the girls name and hit me over the head with a long piece of wood. I stumbled back and tried to get out of the alley as fast as I could. As I was leaving I could hear the boy asking the girl if she was alright. I held my breath praying that she was. Then I heard her weak,scared voice respond. She was alright. She was alive. I did not kill her. At that moment I knew I had to get away from this town. From everyone that I could ever hurt."

Well I hope you read the books, they are not as gory as that re-write probably sounded. Well that is all for now. Over and out.

~bedell07s

Anonymous said...

Hows it going class? Right now i am reading a book called Rich Dad Poor dad by Robert Kiyosaki. But due to the fact that the book doesnt really have any type of storyline or conflict, i will use my book club book, To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee, for this post.

The major conflict in To Kill a Mockingbird was when a man named Bob Ewell tried to attack a little girl named Scout and her brother, Jem. The author used the rape case, the court scene, and the crimes that Bob Ewell had commited prior to the attack to develop this conflict.

Story from antagonists point of view:

Oh im gonna get those Finch kids now. They think that im that little Cecil boy that scared them before, but its too dark for them to actually tell. Their father ruined my reputiation in that court. Ive already gotten back at the others with the other crimes that i have done. Some people now no the truth about my Mayella gettin' raped. Oh, it looks like they've stopped. I'll get em' now.

These are the thoughts that i believe could have been going through Bob Ewells mind while he was following Scout and Jem just before he attacked them. I wont spoil the book for you but right after the attackk something very bad happens to Bob Ewell.


Sincerely,
bedell04p

Anonymous said...

hey,
well im just commenting on um j.h. Well from what you said that book sounds really interesting. I usually like supernatural creepy books like that. If you didn't notice the book I wrote about sounds a lot like Blood Brothers. Well im really interested in finding out what the "evil" is. Ok that last sentence sounded so cheesy but you know what I mean. Well im not sure if you have to ask a question in your response or not so im just going to ask one anyway. I was wondering if you think this book has "red herring" the fallacy. From what you said it kind of sounds like its changing points of view a lot so maybe shes trying to distract you a little.ok well im going to try that book. Ill let you know. oh right. im not supposed to know who you are. oops.
~bedell17m~

Anonymous said...

i finally foulnd a book that i liked! its called Back to the Divide. Back to the Divide is the sequel to The Divide, and it is about a boy named Felix who has has his parents frozen by the evil japegrin(pixie) Snakeweed. He must travel to the divide, where he can use a magical spell that makes him go into another dimension where mythical beings are real, and real beings are mythical. Yay! He meets up with his old friend Betony, a (tangle child)elf, Ironclaw and Thronbeak, two brazzles(griffins). They must travel to the famous riddle paw(griffin) who will give them a magical spell to turn his parents back. But then, oh no! The evil Snakeweed has kidnapped Thornbeak's chick! What will happen next? Anybody could read this book, and it is packed with humour and action. That describes the conflict, and so there you have it!

-bedell26b