We're halfway through the third nine weeks!
For this post, find and share a favorite poem. In the space below, summarize the poem for us. Explain why it is your favorite. Include citation information and at least three quotes from the poem.
Friday, February 29, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
24 comments:
bedell23s
My favorite poem is Snowball by Shel Silverstein. It's about someone who made a really nice snowball("as perfect as could be.")and wanted it as a pet. "I thought I'd keep it as a pet." Then they put it on the bed with them to go to sleep and it ran away and had an accident before it left. "Then, last night it ran away.
But first -- it wet the bed."
This is my favorite poem because I think it's really cute and how it shows a little kids perspective on things.
I should'nt be the first one to write
It really doesn't seem very right
Anyway, I guess I forgot to say a hey
and my name is bedell25j.
Okay, enough with the rhyming. The poem I read is called "Sick" by Shel Silverstein. The poem is about a girl named Peggy Ann McKay who can't go to school today.
"I cannot go to school today,"
Said little Peggy Ann McKay,
She supposedly can't go to school because of all these different ailments and injuries she has. Some of these ailments include measels, mumps, chickenpox, a broken leg, and many others.
"I have the measles and the mumps,
A gash, a rash, and purple bumps.
My mouth is wet, my throat is dry,
I'm going blind in my right eye.
My tonsils are as big as rocks,
I've counted sixteen chicken pox
And there's one more--that's seventeen,
And don't you think my face looks green?"
At the end, she is told that it is Saturday and she immediantly jumps out of bed and goes to play outside.
"I have a hangnail, and my heart is--what?
What's that? What's that you say?
You say today is---Saturday?
G'bye, I'm going out to play!"
This is one of my favorite poems because, like many other shel silverstein poems, it is clever and straight forward. There is no deep meaning to it, it is just a quick poem that you read that will give you a chuckle. I like it because it is simple.
Poem from http://www.famous-poems.biz/Shel_Silverstein/Sick-by-Shel-Silverstein.html
P.S.
There once was small donut.
No one ever saw it, but
one day it was found,
lying on the ground,
and after a short debate,
it got ate.
One of my favorite poems is I Was Walking in a Circle by Jack Prelutsky. It's a really clever poem in which the text goes around in a circle, and therefore goes back to the beginning at the end. You have to read it by continuously turning the page. This poem is my favorite because its silly, pointless and as i said before, very clever. Its not long enough to get three quotes from, but this is how it goes:
I was walking in a circle when i spied a piece of paper covered with a pretty picture colored yellow green and red; as i picked it up i noticed that it also had some writing and i knew that i should read it, this is what the writing said:
and so on and so on as many times as you choose to turn the paper.
This poem can be found in A Pizza the Size of the Sun (a poetry book)
but good luck finding it online. I couldn't. :)
Hi bedell27t here, My favorite poem is Jabberwocky by Lewis Caroll because of the strange language used in it. The first time I read it I had a head injury so it sounded perfectly normal and I really like it. This poem is about a man's father warning him about the dangerous beasts of the forest, "Beware the Jabberwock, my son!Beware the Jubjub bird, and shun the frumious Bandersnatch!", and his victory over one , the Jabberwock, "The Jabberwock, with eyes of flame, came whiffling through the tulgey wood, and burbled as it came!". His father welcomes him back after the death of the Jabberwock,"And, has thou slain the Jabberwock?
Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!'
He chortled in his joy."
Jabberwocky, Lewis Carroll 1996-1998 David Shaw http://www.jabberwocky.com/ 3/9/08.
Mrs bedell could you postpone the due date so I can respond to something.
sincerly,
bedell27t
Hello everyone!!
This is Bedell07s here and I want to tell you about a poem called MINUS by Sonya Sones. The poem is part of a book called STOP PRETENDING: WHAT HAPPENED WHEN MY BIG SISTER WENT CRAZY.
This is a book written in poem format and a chose one of the chapters that really stuck out to me.It is kind of short so I am just going to copy it in bellow.
MINUS
Last night
Sister wasn't there
to help me study for my math test.
Father tried to fill in
but he's never been as good at math
as her.
This morning
I'm sitting here
taking the test
but the numbers on the page
keep scrambling
in my head
and the only equation
I really understand is:
4-1=0
The whole book is about a girl whose bug sister goes crazy. I thought that this chapter/poem was the most important one in the because it shows how it might be the little things that we miss the most about a person. I think that when she asked her dad for help and he could not help her as much as sister showed how her sister could not be replaced. I think that this is my favorite poem because it seems like a very simple and short poem when you first look at it, but when you think about it you realize how moving and heartbreaking it really is.
I would recommend Sonya Sones to all of you because she is a really great young adult author who writes in a different style. I hope you guys look into her!!!
bye-bye
Ok so my one of my favorite poems is called Weird-Bird by Shel Silverstein. It's i like it cause its about a bird that flies north alone when all the other birds go south.
It says: Birds are flyin' south for winter.
Here's the Weird-Bird headin' north,
Wings a-flappin', beak a-chatterin',
Cold head bobbin' back 'n' forth.
He says, "It's not that I like ice
Or freezin' winds and snowy ground.
It's just sometimes it's kind of nice
To be the only bird in town."
The bird pretty much just wants to do its own thing. I thin its cool that the weird bird doesn't care about what the others think and the bird is willing to be different.
I found this poem at http://www.poemhunter.com/poem/weird-bird/
Sincerely, bedell05s
This is BEDELL11M with a peom from the book i checked out from the als library. It's called Edgar Allan Poe; Complete Poems. A poem i found that i liked that wasn't too long to type goes something like this:
F---S S. O---D
Thou wouldst be loved?
From its present pathway part not!
Being everything which now thou art
Being nothing which thou art not.
So with world thy gentle ways,
Thy grace, thy more than beauty,
Shall be an endless theme of praise,
And love---a simple duty.
Its basically saying that if you are loved you either shouldnt leave each other or shouldnt leave the happiness of togetherness, to not go farth so that you dont lose the happiness.
its like he's talking to someone, 'you are everything that you are and you are nothing that you are not.'
'so with the world thy gentle ways.' you can tell that this is before the Iraq War and World WarII
your grace more than your beauty will be an endless praise and love, a simple thing/task/duty.he is saying you're graceful and beautiful, i will praise and love you because there is no work involved for me. its all for you.
so there's my interpretation of edgar allen poe. probably all wrong, but what the heck.
My favorite poem is called When I was your age by Shel Silverstein (from Falling Up) It's about a kid talking to his uncle. His uncle asks him a question, then the kid answers it and the uncle says "when I was your age..." then tries to outdo everything the kid has said.
It's my favorite because it's kind of funny at the end; the uncle asks the kid how old he is, he says 9 and a half then the uncle says, "When I was your age, I was ten." It also really relates to kids because at the beginning the uncle says "When I was your age...I walked it barefoot--seven miles." Also they talk about fights and the uncle says "I fought every day--and was never licked."
citation:
Silverstein, Shel (1996). Falling Up. Brattleboro, VT: Harper Collins Publishers.
~bedell01L
Hey guys!
I chose a poem called "The Nap Taker" by Shel Silverstein. This poem is about a boy who is on trial for 'taking' someone's nap. When the judge reviews his record his finds out that he has committed many other recent crimes. Among these crimes are taking a shower, beating his eggs, and killing an hour. In the end the boy is sentenced to "one long nap for ninety million years." I really like this poem because it is all just a big play on words and it's really funny and creative.
"No-I did not take the nap-
The nap-took-me."
"It happens that the nap you took
Without a thought or care
belongs to Bonnie Bollingbrook
Who's sittin' cryin' there."
"We know you shot a basketball,
You've stolen second base."
Silverstein, Shel. Falling Up.
-bedell10e
one of my favorite poems is Smile by Barabara Hauck:
She smiled at a sorrowful stranger
the smile seemed to make him feel better
He remembered the past kindness of a friend
and wrote him a thank-you letter
the friend was so pleased with the thank-you
that he left a large tip after lunch
the waitress, suprised by the size of the tip,
bet the whole thing on a hunch
the next day she picked up her winnings
and gave part to a man on the street
the man on the street was grateful
for two days he'd had nothing to eat
After he finished his dinner,
(he didn't know at that moment
thata he might be facing his doom)
On the way home he picked up a shivering puppy
and took him home to get warm
the puppy was very grateful
to be in out of the storm
That night the house caught on fire
the puppy barked the alarm
He barked til he woke the whole household
and saved everybody from harm
one of the boys he rescued
grew up to be president
all of this because of a simple smile
that hadn't cost a cent
Sorry its a little long.
I like this poem because it is really cool, all this kindness is spread from a smile. The poem is very positive, which is another reason I like it. It is also just really cool to think about it, because this is actually possible.
This poem is encouraging kindness, and saying that kindness can go a long way.
bedell24l
hey ms beedle and mates!!!
My favorite poem I have ever read is written by me. It is called Haley the Hippo. It is about a Hippo named Haley who eats too much broccoli, cake, and mustard. I like it because I'm really proud of it.
Quotes:
"Hippo, Hippo, Hippo, Haley."
"Broccoli, cake, Mustarrrrrrd!!!"
"I'm the best hippo ever, so put me to the test!!!"
I'll tutor ya'll in poetry writting if you want. I'm soooooo good I write it all the time. Ta-ta!!
bedell08m
I know it's already been listed, but my favorite poem is Sick by Shel Silverstein.
Sick is about a girl named Peggy Ann Mckay who is saying that she is sick to play hookey from school. She lists all the reasons she can possibly think of to get out of having to go to school. In the end, she discovers it's Saturday and that she doesn't have to go to school anyways so she goes outside to play.
""I cannot go to school today,"
Said little Peggy Ann McKay"
"I'm going blind in my right eye.
My tonsils are as big as rocks,"
"My brain is shrunk, I cannot hear,
There is a hole inside my ear."
I really like this poem, because it's so creative and you can tell that the author put alot of time into thinking about this. Some of the "sicknesses" are obvious things (hole in the ear) and some are really out there.
http://www.alphabet-soup.net/dir6/sick.html
my very favorite poem in the world...is the one I'm about to write now-
Singing birds twitter
soaring through meadows of green
taking wing up high
well, maybe i could have done better...
besides this one, i enjoyed "Mendacious"
I’m not mendacious
women dig my honesty
and my flying car
i found it on http://www.robweychert.com/haiku/
i like it because it is short and kind of random...
I've enjoyed reading the poems you've shared and your reasons for loving them. I see we have a large contingent of Silverstein fans amongst our class!
Here is a poem I loved when I was your age. I loved the alliteration in the first stanza and the juxtaposition of elements (dark/bright, night/day) throughout the poem. I remember it used to make me melt. It's by George Gordon, Lord Byron:
"She walks in beauty, like the night
Of cloudless climes and starry skies
And all that's best of dark and bright
Meets in her aspect and her eyes;
Thus mellow'd to the tender light
Which Heaven to gaudy day denies.
One shade the more, one ray the less,
Had half impair'd that nameless grace
Which waves in every raven tress
Or softly lightens o'er her face,
Where thoughts serenely sweet express
How pure, how dear their dwelling-place.
And on that cheek and o'er that brow
So soft, so calm, yet eloquent,
The smiles that win, the tints that glow,
But tell of days in goodness spent,--
A mind at peace with all below,
A heart whose love is innocent."
(I'm not sure how the formatting will work, given the small space to type in, so I apologize for formatting errors in the uploading of this citation):
Byron, George Gordon, Lord."She Walks in Beauty" 1875. Ed. Francis T. Palgrave. The Golden Treasury. London: Macmillan, 1875; Bartleby.com, 1999. www.bartleby.com/106/. March 17, 2008.
This is in response to Bedell25j:
I liked your choice of poem; that one is also one of my favorites. It definitely is good because it is simple; there is no "deeper meaning." It is also so true. So many kids do this, they pretend to be sick just so that they don't have to go to school.
Definitely one of my favorites!
hi this is bedell15d
my favorite poem is called Sarah Cynthia Sylvia Stout Would Not Take the Garbage Out by Shel Silverstein. This poem is about a little girl called Sarah Cynthia Sylvia Stout. She HATES taking out the garbage, and she will do anything to avoid doing it. She'll do any other chore in the house, but if you ask her take out the garbage she'll throw a fit. And so because she wouldn't take the garbage out it piles up higher and higher until it reaches "across the state". the lesson is dont be like sarah whats-her-name or you'll end up buried in garbage like her.
i like this poem because i used to HATE taking out the garbage because i had to walk a long way to take it out. now its my brothers problem, so everything is all right :)
"Sarah Cynthia Sylvia Stout
Would not take the garbage out!
She'd scour the pots and scrape the pans,
Candy the yams and spice the hams,
And though her daddy would scream and shout,
She simply would not take the garbage out."
" At last the garbage reached so high
That it finally touched the sky.
And all the neighbors moved away,
And none of her friends would come to play.
And finally Sarah Cynthia Stout said,
"OK, I'll take the garbage out!"
But then, of course, it was too late. . .
The garbage reached across the state,
From New York to the Golden Gate."
I also like all the description in the poem; it describes all the garbage in disgusting detail but its still funny
Silverstein, Shel. "Sarah Cynthia Sylvia Stout Would NOt Take the Garbage Out." Save Our Earth Before It's Too Late. 30 Mar 2008.
http://www.mste.uiuc.edu/courses/ci407su01/students/north/kristy/Project/K-Poem-Net.html
hey this is in response to bedell10e's post on the Nap Taker by Shel Silverstein.
that poem sounds really cool and fun to read. i think i will try to read it! check out Where the Sidewalk ends, another poetry book by Silverstein. I think you will enjoy that, and a Light in the Attic. maybe Jack Prelutsky too, he has a similar style, for kids and very funny, slightly more comical, i think, but i still enjoy silverstein more.
my favorite poem is Friends by Jean Kyler McManus lol. I never read peoms and i stumbled upon this one while trying to find something. It basically talks about a friends and how they make us feel. I thought it was a very interesting poem.
A friend is someone we turn to
when our spirits need a lift.
A friend is someone who fills our lives
with beauty, joy, and grace.
And makes the whole world we live in
a better and happier place.
http://www.lovepoemsandquotes.com/FriendshipPoem01.html
peace out
J.H.
bedell23 that sounds like a pretty funny poem. Ive never read it before but I know the author. Hes really good at writing poems.
response to bedell23s from
bedell06e
I used to love Snowball By Shel Silverstein too. In first grade we had to memorize it for a Parents night thing. I do think it gives a very interesting perspective. This simple funny poemm could really make you think howlittle kids who don't understand certian concepts can draw conclusions that to us are comical. To the kid its just common sense.
-bedell06e
Jabberwocky - a poem by Lewis Carroll
'Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
Did gyre and gimble in the wabe;
All mimsy were the borogoves,
And the mome raths outgrabe.
"Beware the Jabberwock, my son!
The jaws that bite, the claws that catch!
Beware the Jubjub bird, and shun
The frumious Bandersnatch!"
He took his vorpal sword in hand:
Long time the manxome foe he sought --
So rested he by the Tumtum tree.
And stood awhile in thought.
And as in uffish thought he stood,
The Jabberwock, with eyes of flame,
Came wiffling through the tulgey wood,
And burbled as it came!
One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back.
"And hast thou slain the Jabberwock?
Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!"
He chortled in his joy.
'Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
Did gyre and gimble in the wabe;
All mimsy were the borogoves,
And the mome raths outgrabe.
THE REASON I CHOSE THIS POEM IS BC IT REMINDED ME OF A FAMILY TOY. IT WAS CALLED A JABBAWOKEE, IT HAD GREEN HAIR, A BIG YELLOW NOSE, AND MADE A FUNNY NOSE WHEN YOU SHOOK IT.
THIS POEM IS ABOUT A MONSTER THAT IS TERRORIZING THE TOWN. EVERYBODY IS CAUTIOUS AS TO GOIN OUT OF THE TOWN IN FEAR OF BEING EATEN OR ATTACKED. IN THE END THE SON GOES INTO THE WOODS AND KILLS THE BEAST. HIS FATHER IS OVERWHELMED WITH JOY AND YOU OULD SAY THAT THEY LIVED HAPPILY EVER AFTER.
1)"BEWARE THE JABBERWOCKY, MY SON!" IT LETS YOU KNOW THAT THERE IS A MONSTER OR PERSON THAT PUTS FEAR IN HIS FATHER
2)THE JAWS THAT BITE, THE CLAWS THAT CATCH" TELLS YOU THAT IT IS A MONSTER
3)"HE LEFT IT DEAD AND WITH ITS HEAD HE WENT GALUMPHING BACK!" TELLS YOU THAT THE SON HAS SLAIN THE MONSTER AND HIS FATHER HAS NOTHING ELSE TO FEAR.
-site
bedell04a
It's bedell04a,yes i am back agian!
this is in response to bedell08m.
My mom loves those poems. She used to read them to us all the time.
Sup class,
One of my favorite poems is What is The Value of Money. This poem is basically about the value of money, how its used, and bascically just all the different aspects of it. It talks about things from the foreign exchange to how cooporate positions are measured by money "The rise and fall of foreign exchange
Is used to measure the value of money".
This poem is one of my favorites because it talks about the importance of money and for the career that im pursuing knowing about money is very important and this poem has good information about money."Money we all know is a medium of exchange
Buyers and sellers relate to each other through money". Since I would like to hold some sort of cooporate position, "Success to many is also measured by money
Corporate positions are measured by money", a poem like this could help me measure my ranking and my success.
bedell04p
My favorite poem is "Louder Than a Clap of Thunder!". I like it because it's funny and not as serious as all the rest of the poems that we read in your class.
Louder than a clap of thunder,
louder than an eagle screams,
louder than a dragon blunders,
Throughout the whole poem this little boy is comparing his "problem" to the most outrageous of sounds.
"Louder than an earthquake rumbles,
louder than a tidal wave,
louder than an ogre grumbles
as he stumbles through his cave"
As the poems goes on he is just continuing on and on about all these different noises. And your starting to wonder..what in the world is he talking about?
"louder than stampeding cattle,
louder than a cannon roars,
louder than a giant's rattle,
that's how loud my father SNORES!"
After all that explanation you find out that he was only talking about his father snoring!!
I found this poem completly hilarious. And just had to share it with you guys.
-Bedell20k
Post a Comment