This post is inspired by bedell15d's response to bedell13m on another posting.
What is the reason (or, what are the reasons) for reading a text? Is it possible to read something for the wrong reason? In what ways do your strategies change based on the reason for reading? Provide some examples from your own life. Be sure to explain your examples fully!
Saturday, April 26, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
22 comments:
there are a few reasons for reading a text, just as there are a few reasons for writing one.
1.To be informed
2.To be entertained
3.To be inspired
4.To be assisted/helped
5.To be challenged
I think that the only way something can be read for the wrong reason is if its in the wrong context. For example, if you are online to learn about something and all you do is critize the articles you read.
My strategies change as follows:
If i'm reading to be entertained, i usually just read and enjoy the text.
If i'm reading to be informed, i pay attention to detail and sometimes take notes.
If i'm reading to be inspired, i look for hidden meanings and messages.
If i'm reading because i need assisstance, i pay attention to what i need to do.
If i'm reading to be challenged i do my best to follow what the text is saying.
For example, i just read Boy Proof. I was reading to be entertained so i just sat down and read it. This gave me enjoyment though i didn't get anything from it. That was ok, though seeing as i just wanted to be amused.
hey its bedell15d
most of the time, when i read on my own time, its to be entertained. but i also read to broaden my literary views, in terms of genre, language, vocabulary, style, etc. the only time a text is selected for me is in school, and i think in some cases teachers pick the wrong books for either the students, or the topic/theme being covered. in the case of Across Five Aprils, i felt our teacher really should have picked a more meaningful book for us. reading a book about a war (any war) be it fiction or nonfiction, can be difficult for some people to handle. however, i dont think reading that book was a waste of time. i think that reading a text for the wrong reason cannot really be done, because no matter what you do or read, you will come away with a new (or renewed) thought(s), which i think is part of why i enjoy reading so much. i never really think about the reasoning behind my selected text because i enjoy the process of reading it and the thoughts i get afterward.
i do not really understand how something can be read for the wrong reason, because even if you are very critical of what you are reading, you are still processing and thinking about the author's work, which i really think is a big part of reading and writing. i think if you read something in the wrong context, that is more misinterpretation then poor reasoning.
i 'strategize' (if you can call it that) by changing my state of mind. when im being entertained by a text, i relax my mind and read more for plot then depth. when i read for info, i pay more attention to every sentence and usually revisit the text. i read sometimes just to explore something new, and that is usually the most difficult, because it makes me think a little more or even do a little background research (which i am not used to doing). an example of a book like that for me would be (again) Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte.
There are many different reasons for reading a text. Some of the different reasons include:
-For pleasure (entertainment/enjoyment)
-To be informed
-To be strengthened as a reader
-To be taught something
-To be distracted from something
I think it is possible to read something for the wrong reason. For example, if you are reading something to strengthen yourself as a reader, you wouldn't want to pick up a picture book. Strategies definitely change based on the reason for reading. When I am reading a book for pleasure, I usually just read and enjoy the book without thinking too hard about it. When I'm reading to be informed, I usually have to focus more and think harder about the text. I have to make sure I understand it. When I'm reading to be strengthened as a reader, I read challenging books and try to understand them. When I'm reading to be taught something I look for what I'm supposed to be learning and don't worry so much about the other detail. When I'm reading to be distracted from something I usually choose a good book; one I know I can stay focused on and enjoy easily.
Harry Potter is an example of something I read for pleasure. I just read it without trying to pick it apart and analyze it.
Text books are an example of something I read to be informed or taught something. I don't necessarily enjoy reading them and I skim over the less important details.
-bedell10e
Sup Class?,
Reasons for reading text include:
1) To be challenged
2) To be informed/Learn
3) For help
4) For entertainment
Its possible to read for the wrong reasons. For example, if someone wanted to learn something new and they picked up a fiction book instead of a nonfiction they would be reading the book for the wrong reason.
If im reading a book simply for enternatainment i just sit back, read and enjoy the book. If i want help or to learn something, i will read and re-read what ever im reading to make sure that i have an understanding. Same goes for being informed.
Bedell04p
Hey this is Bedell07s here.
I do not think that there is a bad reason to read. Everything you read is meant to tell you something which makes it good and useful. I think I have different reading strategies when i read for school. When I have to read a book for school I pay more attention to the format of the text. I look at the writing style and try harder to analyze the text. When i read for fun I pay more attention to the story and the characters. I try to figure out the characters, predict what they might do next. I like books that are unpredictable, it makes my job guessing a lot funner.
Well that is all for now.
Au Revoir!!
i agree with bedell04p in saying that when you read a book for entertainment, you just sit back and relax. When you are reading something informative, you read it and read the text again. I would also probably sit up straight and put my face in my hands, while reading a fiction i would lie on the bed and hold te book over my face. Don't ask why i do that. I really don't know. My other post is saved on the computer at school so it will come soon.
it think that there are lots of different reasons for reading a text. I think alot of it depends on what your reading. If you're reading something on your own time it is usually to entertain yourself or to be informed on something, however if you're reading something a teacher assigned, you could be reading just because you have to.
I think these are the main three reasons that we read:
-entertainment: includes books that you read for fun, neswpapers, poetry, anything that you read because you want to read it
- to get informed: whenever your reading travel books or books about certain periods of time. Newspapers can also be included because your getting clued in on whats happening around you.
- because we have to: People may not realize, but we read so much because we have to. We read instructions when were cooking or putting something together. i think this also ties in with being in formed because alot of times you have to read things because you need to be informed
bedell23s,
There are lots of different reasons for reading a text.
1.For entertainment
2.To be informed
3.To help you find something out
4.For a challege or a change
I think it is possible for someone to read a piece of text for the wrong reason. An example would be that someone would pick a book called Stern thinking that its about how not to let your guard down but it actually is about boats. The reason I usually read a piece of text is for entertainment. I just finished reading "Stranger with my Face" and I really enjoyed it. I find things much easier to read when I do it for entertainment.
i am responding to bedell23s' post.
the only way i can really focus and understand a book is if i read for enjoyment; because I want to. otherwise it goes in one ear and out the other.
There are many reasons for reading a text. You can not read something for the wrong reason, because there are mostly two ways to read a text: by choice or because you're told to. If you're told to, you usually pay more attention to structure rather than plot. If you're reading a book on your own, then you pay more attention to plot rather than structure. For instance, in class I try to find stuff in the text that i usually wouldn't if i was reading it on my own time.
-bedell01L
There are plenty of reasons to read a text. My reasons would be:
1. to learn something/be educated
2. to make you laugh
3. to put you to sleep
4. to help you with a project (cooking, building, etc.)
5. to be challenged
I think if your reading something just because your teacher made you I think it's the wrong reason. Not because the teacher made you but because you feel like the book doesn't have a purpose other than to bore you to death and teach you something. Students need to train their mind not to think that in order to make the book more interesting.
in response to bedell11m, i agree with how you said it is more enjoyable and understandable to read a book that you are interested in. If I read a book with a topic i am not interested in, it is usually more difficult to read.
-bedell13m
This is in response to bedell07s:
I agree with what you said about strategies you use when you read. When I read for school, I usually pay more attention to the text its self rather than the plot, which I focus on if I was reading for fun on my own time. However, I don't think that everything you say is meant to tell you something. For example: a children's book is not always useful if it has no moral or lesson.
-bedell01L
There are 2 reasons for reading. Because you have to or because you want to. It is very possible to read for the wong reason. I think that you should not have to be forced to read as that can ruin a very good book. I liked Night as a book but being forced to answer questions put a damper on my enjoyment.
When I read for fun I read more slowely and take in the book more because it is actully something I would like to read. When I read because I am forced to I read very fast so I can get it over with.
I think there is more to reasons to read then anybody could think of. It could be an ongoing list of things! But for me I'm either reading for my own entertainment or to be informed about something. These are two very broad topics. But they could be narrowed, being when I read for entertainment I could pick a challenging book but I can also widen my education by reading the book. Thus, making two more topics. If I'm reading a book for informational reasoning’s then I could pick a specific topic of something like animals. Then the list just goes on and on for reasons why to read.
1. Entertainment
2. Entertainment-Challenges
3. Informational-Specific Information
A wrong reason to read is to read a book just to read one. With out getting into it, maybe just reading it because it was assigned. Get interested it's not that hard!
This is in response to bedell18e:
I agree with your reasons for reading a text and I'd like to add one more: boredom.
I think something can be read for the wrong reason when you just skim it because you have to.
Sincerly,
bedell27t
I disagree with what bedell 10e because you could totally read a picture book if you wanted to strengthen yourself as reader because
a picture book requires you to make some inferences about the story from the picture and some people might be crappy at doing that.
The most common reasons for reading would be:
1) To learn about a subject
2) For a grade
3) Your curious about a certain topic
4) You simply like it
5) To verify information
I don't belive that you can read for the wrong reason. Not unless you are using something you read to hurt someone/something. Reading has no harm, unless you are reading harmful information. If I like what i am reading, then I will pay attention to the book with close detail. If I don't like the book, then I will skim over the book and try to finish as fast as possible. For example, I finised The Watsons Go To Birmingham, 1963 in 1 day. I'm still trying to finish the book Wall To Fame, and I have had a copy at my house for 2 months.
bedell18e,
I have a question for you. If a person critcizes all the articles they read, then aren't they reading? Now if ths is true then they are still learning, so this is example couldn't be bad.
~bedell03a
i agree with bedell01l. i also don't think that it is possible to read something for the wrong reson. you can interpret what you read differently (like a history book verses a novel)but you wouldn't be reading anything for the wrong reason. either you want to read it, or you were assigned to read it.
~bedell12a
There are many reasons to read.
-entertainment
-information-projecta
-for a challenge
-assigned reading
-inhance vocab
I dont think its possible to read something for the wrong reasons becuse usally we read for our entertainment. The only time i think its for the wrong reason is if you pick some book for information but it doesnt have anyhting to help you out. You know what you are trying to get out of your reading so usally you are not reading for the wrong reasons.
When i read more diffucult books i tend to focus in more and really read each word and disect it. Idf its not that idffucult i read it quickly. If i am reading for information i get what i need to and i tend to read differently
Hey guys!
I think that there are a few reasons for reading a text, but there also is a wrong reason for reading a text. If you are reading a text out of context, then you are reading it for the wrong reasons. You should be reading a text for the sake of reading it, not just to criticize it.
Post a Comment