Friday, May 23, 2008

The End

...is in sight. We have finished EOG testing and, in a bit past two weeks, we will finish up our year together.

As a final posting,
1. What types of reading do you expect to be doing next year in class?
2. What types of reading do you intend to do this summer?
3. What book would you recommend to me to read over the summer and why?

Include all three parts in your responses.

32 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey guys!!
I expect to be doing more in depth reading of novels which perhaps we have already read. In english next year we will probably and unfortunately be doing more with the structure of the book which we are reading.
I expect to read the newspaper daily to keep in touch in case something happens. Aside from that, I don't plan on doing much reading this summer. I will be gone a lot, and other than the Honors English project, I don't think that I will want to.
This summer, I would recommend that you read all the Harry Potter books again, because if next years class is anything like this years, you will do a lot of talking about it.

Anonymous said...

1)challenging, difficult pieces; i not exactly looking forward to it.
2)im going to reread the twilight series, so fiction
3)anything by stephanie meyer; she's sooo much better than jk rowling

Anonymous said...

1) Next year I expect to be doing the same kind of reading as we did this year because the reading this year was really challenging. I’m sure we will read some more challenging stuff but I think some will be similar.
2) This summer I intend to read lots of stupid " young adult" novels that really have no plot and are extremely fake... but there entertaining and keep you reading.
3) You should read Love Is a Many Trousered Thing by Louise Rennison. You should read it because it’s hilarious and makes you want to read the whole series. (Or it makes 14 year old girls want to read it...not sure if its going to have the same effect on you)
-Bedell06e

Anonymous said...

I expect to read much more challenging and difficult things next year; things you can't just read, but have to think about. I expect that we will have to examine the text in depth, and that I won't find everything we read that interesting. I intend to read a lot this summer, but mostly "easy" stuff that is just fun and relaxing to read. Of course I'll have to read some Harry Potter this summer, but I might also try a few other challenging things. I know you already know what my answer to the last question is going to be, but I recommend that you read the entire Harry Potter series this summer. They are really good and I don't know how anybody could not love them. The first few books might seem a little easy, but they get way more complicated and filled with huge twists and surprises. If you get stuck on one of the books you have to keep reading because they will get better. You are seriously missing out if you haven't read them.
-bedell10e

Anonymous said...

bedell23s
1)Next year I think we will be reading more difficult and boring things that won't exactly be worth the second read.
2)My plan is to read only things that interest me and maybe things that others recommened to me this year.
3)I would recommend you read No Second Chance. It's a little grusome but it's good.

Anonymous said...

Hey Guys!!
I agree with bedell10e when it said that reading in school will get a whole lot more advanced, if not necessarily in reading level, then in the amount of work we will have to do in terms of structuring of a novel. I also agree with it when it says that you should read the Harry potter books. This is not necessarily because they are good, but if you have a class anything like this years, then harry potter will be a major topic of discussion.

Anonymous said...

I think next year we will be doing much more interesting reading! Any year where i do not have to read Roll Of Thunder Hear My Cry will be a good one. Also i think the reading level will be harder and you will not just be able to skim through a book to get its meaning.

This summer I intend to read stpid books that i will later regret. These books will be like 90% of "teen" books that are about who cheated on who and of of course I plan to read Sealed With A Diss and the whole Gossip Girl Book series.

A book you must read is Faithfull a truely awesome book about the Boston Red Sox.It is a very inspiring book. Also i think you should read anything but Harry Potter. Please make sure that you do not have any Harry Potter books in your personal library next year as I do not want any poor future 8th grader to go through my pain.

Anonymous said...

I've heard ever since I was much younger that I was going to be doing a lot of shake’s sphere. So I'm trying to look forward to that.
This summer I hope to finish up challenging books that i have started earlier in the year!
“The Ruins” by Scott Smith. The book is great. As long as you’re in the mood for a little scare than it’s the perfect book for you.

Anonymous said...

1. Next year I expect to read challenging books that has you focus a lot on the text.
2. This summer I would like to find a new series of books to read. (Maybe the Twilight series)
3. I would recommend that you read The Sister Hood of The Traveling Pants series. They are good summer books for girls!!

bedell13m

Anonymous said...

bedell23s
in response to bedell20k I also think that we will be doing things on Shakesphere and if not next year than other year to come. I'm not quite sure that I'll be looking forward to it but I will keep an open mind.

Anonymous said...

HEy guys,

Well anyways, next year in English class I expect that we will be reading more classic books rather than recent ones because they are written in a weird way and it's hard for you to understand what they mean and teachers like it when you have to think about it.
This summer I plan to read all the Harry Potter books again, because they are really good and a much better use of my time than reading Twilight, or any other Stephanie Meyer books. When I have a lot of free time, I plan on going to the public library and checking out some new novels in the teen section. Also, I plan to read Extras, by Scott Westerfeld.
I would recommend to everyone the Harry Potter series. Even though it seems really dumb when people talk about wizards and magical creatures, it's a lot better than you think it will be, and if you read the first one, you'll never stop reading them all. I've noticed that in a lot of books there are a bunch of random paragraphs that contain a bunch of meaningless description that you just skim through. In Harry Potter, there are NONE of those dumb paragraphs.

Go Harry Potter!

Anonymous said...

Yo,

Next year I plan on doing reading that will further my knowledge in text structures, genres, and whatever topic that im reading about.

This summer I intend to read whatever books that rouse my intrests. I tend to read a wide variety of books and dont really have a certain genre that I particularly look for or read. Im going to read for leisure and enjoyment this summer.

I recommend reading the Appeal. Its a very good book about a lawyer couple who have their own practice. They have to go up against a large corporation who has been dumping toxins in local water sources. Their client's son and husband were two of the victims and suffered fataly. This book shows how life has its ups and its downs but you can overcome anything. It teaches life lessons and has a quite exciting story line to go with it.


bedell04p

Anonymous said...

In response to bedell11m,

What makes you say that stephanie meyer is so much better than Jk Rowling? Can you support this statement?

bedell04p

Anonymous said...

I think next year in class, we will be reading things that we have already read, like 1984 and Treasure Island D:
This summer I am going to read Harry Potter!!!! I think that it's important to re-read books because then you catch stuff that you missed the first, second, or third times.
I would reccomend thta you read the Harry Potter series because they rock so much, and even if you know what happens, it's really fun to read, and they're really well-written.

-bedell01L

Anonymous said...

Hey,
Bedell27t here


I expect to be reading advanced selections in honors english next year and we will have to analyze them.

This summer I intend to read minimally so I can enjoy the outdoors, i.e. reading the newspaper and maybe a novel.

I think you should read the fivth, can't remember how to spell 5th,
Harry potter book space3d out across the summer.
Sincerly,
bedell27t

Anonymous said...

I expect to read a variety of books, each with different meanings and genres. I, also expect to read more advanced and complex books in a shorter time span. This summer I intend to expand my options and read books that i would have never looked at. I would recommend the Series Of Unfortunate Events series. I don't care what anybody says I loved that series. It keeps you guessing and wondering how anything can possibly get worse in the next book.

Anonymous said...

I am bedell25j and I am having odd heart pains. Anyway, I am going to make this comment short and to the point. Next year we are probably going to be reading short, mostly uninteresting novels with deep themes and morals that will also show us another point of view and increase our reading comprehension skills.
For what I'll read over the summer I only need to say two words. Stephen King! I commit myself to his work and I will not read anything else except for possibly the nutrition facts on the back of the bag of a new flavor of chip.
I recommend "The Shining" by Stephen King because it is one of his best works and isn't too innopropriate (except for the violince and insanity, but that's a given in any horror novel). Also, if you've seen the movie, it is completely different from the book. You'll see by reading it.

Signing off,
Bedell25j

Anonymous said...

1- Challenging novels and some plays, mixed with some other stuff (its going to be a long year)
2- This summer i would like to keep reading crazy "teen" novels with no set plot for comic relief
3- Everything by louise rennision. she is hilarious.
~bedell12a

Anonymous said...

I dont know what i will be reading next year but i expect it to be harder but also interesting. I expect to do more detailed reading and focus more on writing. I belive they are pretty serious about reading this coming up year after i saw the summer reading project we have to do.
Over the summer i plan to read for fun. Maybe read some biographies because they always interest me. Usally i just go to the library and pick books that seem interesting. I dont really plan on reading anything specific. You have probably already read them but if you have not Black Boy and Native Son are great books. They are pretty long but you will stay interested thorought out. Black Boy is a autobigraphy by Richard Wright. Both books are great and fantastic to read.

Anonymous said...

Bedell 04p maybe me and you should be reading buddies. We could get together and talk about are reading. This is a GREAT IDEA!!!
OUT!!!

Anonymous said...

In response to bedell11m

I agree with you in your 1st point. I think that we should all try to read more challenging novels so we will be prepared for next year. I also will be reading all the stephenie meyer books this summer because they are amazing. You should all read them because she is soooo much better than JK Rowling!!

_bedell07s

Anonymous said...

I am Bedell25j and on some Caribbean islands, the oysters can climb trees. I am responding to Bedell01L by asking what makes the Harry Potter series so good? I've read the whole series and there is nothing in them that I see that makes them stand out and be better than other books. If there is something that is so wonderful in these books that makes you treat J. K. Rowling like a god then please tell. Otherwise, stop going on about how wonderful the series is (yes, I have seen Bedell22L's post and maybe these random paragraphs she's talking about aren't so meaningless).

Signing off,
Bedell25j

Anonymous said...

hey yall, eh that sounds too country...
hey you guys,
ok thats better. Well I expect to read maybe some of the same books next year in ninth grade because I dont know about you guys but I thought the books this year was challenging. ok well maybe not the books so much but the work that was involved in it was challenging. Over the summer i expect to read some new sarah dessen books and some books that friends refer amd stuf like that. Im actually quite excited to finally have time to read. I would recommend you read some of teh sarah dessen books. First of al its kind of for girls more and obviously your a girl. Second they are just really good books. Her books are so addictive, you read one and you just have to read more.

Anonymous said...

This is in response to bedell11m,
Im sitting here trying to figure out who you are but its not working. Well challenging yes, I completely agree and I also am so not looking forward to it. I am looking forward to the new stephenie meyer book coming out so I too will be reading fiction. By saying that comment at the end, you are just setting your self up for arguments. I think its quite humurous. =)

Anonymous said...

This is in response to bedell22l.
I didnt reallt think about it until you mentioned it but i agree. There wil porbably be more old fashioned classic books. I expect to read maybe shakespeare and taht time period.
I disagree with the whole read harry potter books becaue they are better. I like Twilight better. Harry Potter is very good books but Twilight has more real life scenarios and feelings and stuff. Harry Potter has more action event sort of things.

Anonymous said...

In response to 25j,

THINGS THAT MAKE HARRY POTTER GOOD:
1)JK Rowling's style of writing-She makes you hooked on the first word and you can't wait to see what happens next.
2)The characters-Ginny is like the coolest person on THE PLANET! I wish she went to AL Stanback. She is nice, funny, smart, a good witch, and everything else that makes a person perfect. Harry is totally perfect for her and he is the best wizard EVER. He is so awesome even if he does get a little moody in the 5th and sixth books but thats not his fault anyway. It was stupid Voldemort. Speaking of which, Voldemort is the best evil guy of any book I've ever read. Ron is so funny. He is always messing up or being dumb and he makes me laugh every time because he never gets something. Hermione is the perfect example of a nerd and she is so funny how she always studies. Anyways, i could go on for hours, but I'll stop there.
3)How she makes stupid sounding things SO AWESOME. I mean, before Harry Potter, witches and wizards were so stupid and all those magical creature were just dumb. She made them into a freakishly good story and and it freaks me out how good it is.
5)How all of the things of the book fit together perfectly. Some of the things in the first book foreshadow what is going to happen in the seventh book. You are so surprised what happens in the end, but yet it seems so obvious that it would happen. I cannot find any flaws on how she wrote the book because it's PERFECT.

There are like 50 other reasons why it's the best book in the world but i don't feel like naming them. Maybe you should just read the book closer and get ex cited about it rather than reading it like its a regular old book.


Sincerely,

bedell22l

P.S.
Go Harry Potter!!!

Anonymous said...

In response to the series of unfortunate events person.

I think your right the books will become harder with less time to read it.
P.S. I have every book in that series.
-bedell23s

Anonymous said...

In response to bedell22l:
I agree with what you said about what kind of books we will be reading next year. Older, classic books are written in the language of that time period, so it is much harder to read than a book from our time. I also agree with what bedell20k said about having to read Shakespeare next year. Shakespeare is one of the biggest classics and, like you said, we have heard many times that we will be reading a lot of Shakespeare.
Of course I agree with bedell22l (and anyone else who recommended Harry Potter), because they are the BEST BOOKS EVER!!!!! Like you said, they might seem dumb when you hear about them, but they really aren't. You are definitely right about them not having those long, random, boring paragraphs. If you have not read Harry Potter YOU NEED TO READ THEM!!!!!!!
-bedell10e

Anonymous said...

Hey guys!
Next year I think we'll be doing alot of reading that takes more analyzing. I feel like the stuff that were gonna be reading won't be easy stuff that you would read in you spare time. I think the stuff we'll be reading will be alot more like the JFK book that we had the option to read.
Over the summer i'll probably be reading stuff that's not as dfficult. It's the summer so anything that make me have to think too much definately won't be on my list. Except for the book we have to read for English next year.
Over the summer I think that everyone should read the Harry Potter books. They're sooo good and they'll definately take you a while to read.

Anonymous said...

This is in response to bedell06e.
I was wondering what the book you suggested,Love is a many trousared thing, is about?

Anonymous said...

bedell24l:::::::::::::::
Next year I expect we will be reading educational nonfiction books. Things that everybody fears the most, that suck all the fun out of reading; I've seen my older sister go through high school.
Over the summer I will be reading much different materials(besides the reading assignment). I will be reading fiction, definately, and either fantasy of science fiction within the fiction category.
I think you should read the Twighlight series(sorry to the HP fans), because it is really good, and hard to put down. If you ever need to kill some time, read Twighlight.

Anonymous said...

BYE GUYS!!!!!!!!!