In honor(?) of EOGs next week...
Some people claim that standardized tests represent a genre in the same way that mysteries, poetry, or short stories are all genres.
1. What evidence would someone use to support this claim?
2. Do you agree or disagree with this claim?
3. What reading strategies do you employ when dealing with this genre of material?
Answers must address all three questions to count.
Monday, May 12, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
Hey classmates!
Even though I disagree with this, someone could argue that standardized tests are a genre. To support this, I suppose they could say that questions about a passage build on that passage. They could argue that any writing that evokes some kind of thought is a literature. Since questions are writing and they make you think, they could then be considered literature. And since genre is a specific type of literature, tests could be a genre.
As I said before, I disagree with this because questions like "Solve 3x + 5 = 14" should not be considered literature. Also, the reading problems do not start new ideas, they just build on the passage. You could have thought of if yourself if you'd wanted.
The strategies I use when I'm testing are pretty straightforward. I read the passage/chart (for math) and then I read the question. I note any key words such as true, false, best, most, important, etc. Then I read the answer choices. If it refers to a certain part of the text, I look back at that part of it. I try to answer it then. If it's not obvious at that point, I use process of elimination. You can usually eliminate 2 of the choices, then pick the best out of those 2.
-bedell01L
I suppose that if you really tried, you could make EOGs/ other standardized testing a genre. The EOGs are definetely a type of reading. You read the passages and answer questions. I think that it could be a lot like a lit. book. There are passages in lit.books, and after the passages there are questions for you to answer. So maybe tests are in the same family as textbooks.
When reading tests like EOGs, i employ different strategies depeding on what kind of test it is. If it is a math test, then i answer the questions one by one without skipping questions when i cant remember how to do them. This is because i always have at least half an hour to do nothing while others slave away at their mathing. During reading tests, I read the passage and then look at the questions. If i dont remember the answer, i will go back and skim the text until i find the answer. This is how i read the "standarized test" genre.
Yay for the long post. Bye!
-bedell26b
Hey guys,
This is in response to bedell01l;
I agree with you but I also think that questions on a standardized test don't build on the poem but they are all about pulling the information out of the poem. This is why I think that standardized tests are not a genre of literature.
sincerly,
bedell27t
Hey this is bedell11m! i really dont think that standardized tests could be considered a genre. to support this, a person could say that it has to contain pieces of literature, therefor it is literature. i disagree with this thought, because even thoiugh it is compsed of literature, it is not literature itself. as for reading strategies, you would use whatever you would use for contained literauture.
Hey
I think that standardized testing is a genre of literature because it is unique in how it is read and written. There isn’t really another kind of literature that is written to test people and it probably does take some skill to write things that are so unbiased and boring.
So I think that standardized tests are just a really dumb genre of literature.
Bedell05s
Post a Comment